General Recording Requirements
The following provides information on general requirements for recording documents.
REQUIRED FORMAT FOR DOCUMENTS: The provisions of Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 247.110 define the format requirements on documents submitted for recording. Documents submitted for recording that do not meet the format requirements are subject to an additional $25.00 fee, per NRS 247.305.
Excerpts from NRS 247.110:
3. Except as otherwise provided in this section, subsection 5 of NRS 247.305 and NRS 111.366 to 111.3697, inclusive, a document, except a map, certificate or affidavit of death, military discharge or document regarding taxes that is issued by the Internal Revenue Service of the United States Department of the Treasury, that is submitted for recording must be on a form authorized by NRS 104.9521 for the type of filing or must:
(a) Be on white, 20-pound paper that is 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches in size.
(b) Have a margin of 1 inch on the left and right sides and at the bottom of each page.
(c) Have a space of 3 inches by 3 inches at the upper right corner of the first page and have a margin of 1 inch at the top of each succeeding page.
(d) Not be on sheets of paper that are bound together at the side, top or bottom.
(e) Not contain printed material on more than one side of each page.
(f) Not have any documents or other materials physically attached to the paper.
(g) Not contain:
(1) Colored markings to highlight text or any other part of the document;
(2) A stamp or seal that overlaps with text or a signature on the document, except in the case of a validated stamp or seal of a professional engineer or land surveyor who is licensed pursuant to chapter 625 of NRS;
(3) Text that is smaller than a 10-point Times New Roman font and is printed in any ink other than black; or
(4) More than 9 lines of text per vertical inch.
4. The provisions of subsection 3 do not apply to a document submitted for recording that has been filed with a court and which conforms to the formatting requirements established by the court.
ASSESSORS PARCEL NUMBER / GRANTEE`S ADDRESS; NRS 111.312: A notice of completion, a declaration of homestead, a lien or notice of lien, an affidavit of death, a mortgage or deed of trust, or any conveyance of real property or instrument in writing setting forth an agreement to convey real property must contain:
(a) The mailing address of the grantee or, if there is no grantee, the mailing address of the person who is requesting the recording of the document; and
(b) The assessor`s parcel number, except on the transfer of water rights, of the property at the top left corner of the first page of the document.
LEGAL DESCRIPTION; NRS 111.312: If a document that is being recorded includes a legal description of real property that is provided in metes and bounds, the document must include the name and mailing address of the person who prepared the legal description. If a previously recorded document has the same legal description, that document number may be included on the new document to be recorded, in place of the name and address of the person who prepared the legal description. In either situation, the County Recorder is not required to verify the accuracy of the information.
TAX ADDRESS; NRS 111.312: A grant bargain or deed of sale, Quitclaim deed, Warranty deed or Trustee`s deed upon sale needs to contain the name and address of the person to whom a statement of the taxes assessed on the real property is to be mailed.
LEGIBILITY; NRS 247.120: Documents must be clearly readable and capable of producing a legible imaged record. Before accepting a document conditionally, the recorder shall require the person who requests the recording to sign a statement that the person has been advised of the requirements described in this subsection and record the statement with the document.
DOCUMENTS - EXHIBITS - ATTACHMENTS; NRS 239.051, 239.070, 247.110, 247.120: Must be submitted on paper suitable for recording by a method used by the recorder to preserve the records.
PARTIES: Names of parties to be indexed must be contained in the document.
NAMES UNDER SIGNATURE; NRS 247.190: Names must be typed or legibly printed beneath the original signatures except notaries and witnesses.
NOTARY ACKNOWLEDGMENT; NRS 111.240 & 111.310, NRS 240.161-169: Documents affecting title to real property must be properly acknowledged. No notary services are available in our office.
TITLE: Documents should be identified as to the type of document and should be authorized, entitled or required by law to be recorded.
RETURN ADDRESS: A name and address where the document should be sent after recording must be shown on the face of each document.
OTHER: Depending on the type of document, additional requirements may apply.
NONRECORDABLE DOCUMENTS: Negotiable instruments (stocks, bonds, money), vital records such as birth or death certificates, and certain other types of documents, such as passports, citizenship papers, copyrights, wills, trademarks or any document(s) not authorized, entitled or required by law, are not recordable.
Per NRS 7.285, Recorder's Office personnel are not allowed to practice law. This includes advising what forms are needed, how to fill them out, or giving other legal advice.