What should we bring for identification?


NRS 122.040 (2): Before issuing a marriage license, the county clerk shall require each applicant to provide proof of the applicant's name and age.

NRS 122.050: The Marriage License must contain the name of each applicant as shown in the documents presented to prove name and age.


The following original documents containing the applicant's photo are acceptable. The photo must be a sufficiently recent, clear likeness of the applicant.

  • Driver's License
  • Driver's Instruction Permit
  • ID Card issued by U.S. state or territory
  • Foreign government issued ID Card, including Driver's License (must include birth date)
  • Passport
  • Matricula Consular Card
  • Military ID Card issued by branch of U.S. Armed Forces
  • Military Dependent ID Card issued by branch of U.S. Armed Forces
  • Certificate of Citizenship issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Voter Identification Card (must contain birth date)


An original or certified Birth Certificate AND

  • any secondary document that contains the name and photograph of the applicant, or
  • any document for which identification must be verified as a condition of receipt of the document, such as:
    • Gaming Sheriff's Work Card
    • Social Security Card
    • Voter Registration Card
    • Bank issued Debit Card
    • Employee ID Card/Badge
    • Membership Card from establishments requiring ID for membership (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.)
    • Student Identification Card
    • Prison Identification Card
    • Any other document not otherwise mentioned in this policy
    • Temporary Driver's License or Permit (must not have language "Not Valid for ID Purposes")
    • Any other secondary document that contains the name and photograph of applicant;

The County Clerk requires that foreign birth certificates be translated into English. The translation must state that it is a true and correct translation of the birth certificate. The translation must also state that the translator is a qualified translator and include the printed name of the translator. The document must be signed and notarized.

If the Marriage Bureau Clerk determines the applicant clearly appears over the age of 25 years, no proof of age is required. Proof of identity (name) is still required.


  • ID card issued by check cashing companies
  • Debit or Credit Cards (Accepted only if presented with original or certified copy of the birth certificate)
  • Membership cards from businesses or organizations that do not require ID for membership
  • ID card or document indicating "Not Valid for Identification Purposes"
  • Letters or Statements (which may or may not be notarized) stating that the person says he's the person known as "John Doe"
  • Documents that appear to be home-made or lack the appearance of being an official form of identification.


  • If a parent giving consent to the marriage of a minor pursuant to subsection 5 of NRS 122.020 has a last name different from that of the minor seeking to be married, the county clerk shall accept, as proof that the parent is the legal parent of the minor, a certified copy of the birth certificate of the minor which shows the parent's first and middle name and which matches the first and middle name of the parent on any document listed in subsection 2 or NRS 122.020.
  • Court Orders presented for minors under the age of 16 require acceptable photo identification as listed above in addition to the Court Order
  • Hyphens may not be included in names unless they are on the identification presented


Your Marriage License and Certificate will be prepared with your legal name exactly as it appears on the identification presented. It is your responsibility to present the proper identification to have your name reflected as you desire. For example, if you want your Marriage License and Certificate to reflect your full middle name, the identification you present must contain your full middle name - not an initial.

Errors discovered after the ceremony may be corrected upon written request to this office. Marriage records WILL NOT be changed after the ceremony to reflect names that are different from the names on the identification presented at the time the license was issued unless extenuating circumstances exist and proof of the correct name is provided. Corrections of marriage records will be approved on a case-by-case basis and will be subject to a fee. No fee will be charged for corrections due to clerical errors made by County Clerk staff.