If you wish to become a Notary Public, and you live in Washoe County, the following procedure must be followed:
- Obtain an Application for Appointment as a Notary Public from the office of the Secretary of State of Nevada.
- Notary applicants must enter into a surety bond to the State of Nevada in the sum of $10,000.00 as required by Nevada law. The bond may be obtained from any insurance agency offering surety services or a surety bond agent of your choice.
- The bond must be countersigned by "a duly authorized and licensed agent" who is not required to reside in Nevada. (NRS 680A.300(1) as SB 426, Sec. 7, effective May 29, 2009).
- The bond must be filed in person at the Washoe County Clerk's Office, 1001 E. 9th Street, Building A, First Floor, Reno. At that time an oath will be administered and a "Bond Filing Notice" will be prepared and given to the applicant. The filing fee for this procedure is $20.00 (Cash, Personal Check, Money Order or Traveler's Check).
- The application, the "Bond Filing Notice" and a check in the amount of $35.00 are to be mailed directly to the Secretary of State by the Notary applicant.
The Certificate of Appointment as a Notary Public will be issued by the Secretary of State, along with the necessary instructions. For information about Notary Classes or to inquire as to the status of your application for appointment please contact the Secretary of State's Office, Notary Division at (775) 684-5708.