If you wish to become a Notary Public, and you live in Washoe County, the following procedure must be followed:
- Obtain an Application for Appointment as a Notary Public from the office of the Secretary of State of Nevada.
- Notary applicants must enter into a surety bond to the State of Nevada in the sum of $10,000.00 as required by Nevada law. The bond may be obtained from any insurance agency offering surety services or a surety bond agent of your choice.
- The bond may be filed in person at the Washoe County Clerk's Office, 1001 E. 9th Street, Building A, First Floor, Reno. At that time an oath will be administered and a "Bond Filing Notice" will be prepared and given to the applicant. The filing fee for this procedure is $20.00 (Cash, Credit/Debit Card, Personal/Business Check, Money Order or Traveler's Check) and you will need to bring photo identification.
- You may elect to file your notary bond through regular mail. On the bond itself, there should be an area at the bottom of the page which is an "oath" section. If you will take your bond to another Notary Public, they can administer the oath to you and witness your signature on the bond. Please be sure to sign bond on the "Principal" signature line as well. Once this has been completed, please mail the bond to us with the $20 fee and include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please also include a note to provide us with your phone number and email address so that we may contact you if needed. Once the bond has been filed, we will return a filing notice to you in the envelope you have provided.
- The application, the "Bond Filing Notice" and a check in the amount of $35.00 are to be mailed directly to the Secretary of State by the Notary applicant.
The Certificate of Appointment as a Notary Public will be issued by the Secretary of State, along with the necessary instructions. For information about Notary Classes or to inquire as to the status of your application for appointment please contact the Secretary of State's Office, Notary Division at (775) 684-5708.