• Masters in Public Administration & Policy with Specialty in Water & Energy Policy, UNR
• Masters Thesis on Geothermal Energy
• Small Business Owner - Mineral Exploration; Water & Geology consulting (25 years)
• Professional Geologist
• Managed water agencies for 25 yrs
• Ward 2 Neighborhood Advisory Board member (2011-2013)
• Chair, Washoe County Debt Mgmt Commission
• Chair, Washoe County Animal Services Board
• Truckee Meadows Water Authority
• Western Regional Water Commission
• Regional Planning Governing Board
• Reno Arts & Culture Commission Liaison
• Reno Urban Forestry Commission Liaison
Managed public water agencies for 25 years:
• State Water Planner - Produced award-winning Nevada State Water Plan, managed $125 million grant program, initiated interbasin transfer law, started Nevada's flood management program.
• Executive Director, Truckee River Flood Management Authority - Established Truckee River Action Projects to build projects, including the Virginia Street Bridge
• Deputy Executive Director, South Florida Water Management District - 800 staff. Responsible for restoration of Everglades, Lake Okeechobee, Kissimmee River
• Asst. Department Director, St. Johns River Water Management District
• Managing Growth - Affordable Housing, Infill, Water Management, Blight, Public/Private Partnerships
• Improving Public Safety - Additional Police & Firefighters, Flooding, Road Safety
• Enhancing Community Good - new Virginia Range Open Space, enhance ReLeaf Reno (Trees), more soccer fields, new Evans Historic Park, improved Wild Horse Mgmt, new Moana Pool.
Some Council Accomplishments include:
• Debt Reduction - Paid down $180 million on city bond debt since high in 2009, and reduced employee liability some $40 million during my term by renegotiating contracts, for a total savings of over $200 million.
• Improved city bond rating to A+
• Began new Business Improvement District to clean up downtown, better manage homeless
• Increased police patrols in central & south Reno
• Reopened Skyline and Sommersett Fire Stations with medical crews
• Improved road safety with new crosswalks, traffic lights, road signs
• New Virginia Street Bridge
• Road Improvements - Revised entrance to I-580 from South Meadows & Damonte Ranch Rd to reduce traffic delays
• Negotiated and acquired old City Hall parking garage for $10; Cleaned, enhanced security, replaced elevators.
• Paved Jack Tighe baseball parking lot, and remainder of Virginia Lake walking path & parking lot
• Upgraded Traner Pool
• Completed new Master Plan prioritizing the great outdoors, arts and culture, and University/Town connection.
• Adopted community trust for affordable housing; negotiated new homeless center with services as Adult Mental health hospital on Galletti.
• Supported four new affordable housing projects in Ward 2 - for veterans, seniors, workers
• Supported new infill developments: Parklane Mall, Kings Inn (3rd St. Flats)
• Started Midtown Holiday Parking
• Initiated ReLEAF Reno - a program to double the trees in Reno
• Successfully advocated to bring back roof-top solar
• Installed electric chargers in city garage
Parks, Arts and Culture:
• Renovated Virginia Lake Park: installed water recirculation system which improved water clarity significantly (no more toxic algae!), cleaned up trash and weeds, installed new dragonfly sculpture, installed new radar speed signals
• Established a new Bicentennial Sculpture Park on the Truckee River with Rotary
• New Virginia Lake Dog Park
• New Downtown "Biggest Little Dog Park"
• New murals and mural competition
• New downtown Playa Park
• Found Lear Theater a new owner - future looking bright