Civil Department

Civil Contact:

Jocelyn Jonas

Ph: 775.353.7603

Fax: 775.352.3004


Sparks Justice Court requires the Sparks Justice Court Civil Cover Sheet to be included on ALL new Civil and Eviction filings. Please complete the form prior to appearing at the court to file to allow for a smoother process.

The Civil Department of Sparks Justice Court is made up of three major functions:

Civil Complaints

Civil Complaints for damages not to exceed $15,000 or if a suit involves a breach of contract, punitive damages, an action to obtain possession of property, a writ of restitution, or other like actions, legal counsel is suggested for these types of actions.

The court is not able to provide forms for filing your complaint.  Please refer to the link below for costs associated with this type of complaint.

Please click here for all Civil filing fees.


An act or process of legally dispossessing a person of land or rental property.  All required forms used in the eviction process must be issued by the court prior to service.  A $71 filing fee is payable by cash, check or credit card at the time of filing.

Non-Payment of Rent

This is a 5-day notice for past due rent and contracted late fees only.

Unlawful Detainer

May be issued after a tenant has been served with and has failed to comply with the following:

  1. Seven (7) or Thirty (30) day "No Cause" eviction
  2. Notice of Waste, Nuisance, or Unlawful Business
  3. Tenancy at Will
  4. Breach of Contract

Service of an Eviction Notice may be done:

  1. Personally with a witness
  2. By Washoe County Sheriff
  3. By a private process server

Upon completion of service, an Affidavit of Service must be completed and filed with the court. If the tenant is served personally, they will have five (5) working days in which to either comply with the notice, vacate the premises, or file of Affidavit of Tenant with the court contesting the notice at which time a hearing will be set.  If the tenant is unavailable to accept service of the notice personally, it may be posted on the door and mailed, obtaining a certificate of mailing from the post office.  In this instance, the tenant will have five (5) working days plus three (3) straight days in which to comply with the notice.

If the tenant takes no action within the time period allowed, the landlord may apply for a Lockout Order.  The Order must be signed by a Judge and may only be served by the Washoe County Sheriff's Office.

Please refer to the fees section below for costs associated with this type of action.

Eviction Filing Fees

Non-Payment of Rent, Breach of Contract and Unlawful Detainer

Affidavit of Tenant $71
Initial Appearance of Landlord in response to the filing of Tenant Affidavit            $71
Seven (7) day or Thirty (30) day No Cause No Charge
Notice of Nuisance, Waste or Unlawful Business No Charge
Tenancy at Will No Charge
Order for Lockout $25

Small Claims

An action filed in order to obtain a monetary judgment.  Claims must not exceed $10,000. For claims greater than $10,000, it is recommended you seek the counsel of an attorney for appropriate filing.  Your small claims action, however, may be filed with the Sparks Justice Court if one of the following applies to the defendant:

  1. They reside within the boundaries of the Sparks Township;
  2. They are employed within the boundaries of the Sparks Township; and/or,
  3. They do business within the boundaries of the Sparks Township.

If your claim involves vehicle repairs or damages you must either:

  1. Submit a copy of the repair bill for work performed;
  2. Obtain three (3) estimates and file for the least of the three estimates as to the value of work needed to be performed; and/or
  3. If the defendant was cited at the accident, you must provide a copy of the police report and a copy of the decision from the court indicating the outcome of the proceedings. This information will aid the Judge in adjudicating your small claims case.

Small claims alleging new construction or remodel errors (including landscaping and/or damages) may be governed by the Nevada Revised Statutes 40.600.  Cases which fall under this statute will be submitted to mediation before you can file a small claims action.  Please contact our office to obtain further information at 775.353.7603.

If your claim is against a business or corporation, you must contact either Sparks Business Licensing at 775.353.2360 or Washoe County Business Licensing at 775.328.3733 to determine if the business is a sole proprietorship, a partnership, or a corporation.  If the business is a corporation, you will also need to contact the Secretary of State's office at 775.684.5708 or online at to obtain information and the name and address of the Resident Agent.

Upon completion of the application and payment of fees, the clerk will then prepare the Affidavit of Order, which you will then need to contact the Washoe County Sheriff Civil Division at 775.328.3310 or a licensed process server for service upon the defendant.

At least five (5) days prior to your court date, please bring the original and two sets of copies of any documents, pictures, and statements, etc. that you will present at the hearing.  One set is for the Judge and the other set for the opposing party.  This will assist the Judge in being prepared to hear your case.  Failure to do so may result in dismissal, continuance of your case, or assessment of copy fees at your expense.

Small Claims Fees

For the preparation and filing of an affidavit and order in an action commenced pursuant to Chapter 73 of NRS:

If the sum claimed does not exceed $1,000 $66
If the sum claimed exceeds $1,000.01 but does not exceed $2,500 $86
If the sum claimed exceeds $2,500.01 but does not exceed $5,000


If the sum claimed exceeds $5,000.01 but does not exceed $7,500 $146
If the sum claimed exceeds $7,500.01 but does not exceed $10,000     $196

Civil Department Forms

Vehicle Title Request Form

Notice of Eviction for Non Payment of Rent  *Must be issued by the court prior to service  

Notice of Unlawful Detainer  *Must be issued by the court prior to service

Nuisance, Waste or Unlawful Business Notice

30 Day Notice

Five Day Tenancy at Will Notice

Affidavit of Landlord for Breach

Affidavit of Landlord for Non Payment

Affidavit of Landlord for Unlawful Detainer

Affidavit of Service

Affidavit of Tenant

Smalls Claims Application

Be Prepared for Smalls Claims Hearing

Licensed Process Servers