About Reno Justice Court
The Citation Division deals with all citations issued in Reno Township including, but not limited to those issued by the Nevada Highway Patrol, the Washoe County Sheriff`s Office, the University of Nevada Police Department, the Division of Wild Life, the Gaming Control Board, the State Contractor`s Board and Washoe County Animal Control. If you have been instructed that you can come to Court and pay the fine on your citation without seeing a judge, your case has more than likely been directed to the Citation Division.
The Civil Division is divided into four (4) areas; Small Claims, Civil Actions, Evictions and Stalking and Harassment. Small Claims actions have a monetary limit of $7,500.00 and are conducted more informally, generally, without attorneys present. Civil actions have a monetary limit of $10,000.00. Evictions deal with landlord-tenant disputes. Stalking and harassing orders are available for cases that do not involve domestic or intimate relationships (e.g., sons, daughters, husbands, wives, boyfriend or girlfriend).
The Criminal Division deals with cases which are being prosecuted by the Washoe County District Attorney`s Office (or the State of Nevada Attorney General`s Office in certain cases). All criminal proceedings in Reno Township, whether misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor or felony cases originate in Reno Justice Court. A preliminary examination is held in gross misdemeanor and felony cases and, upon a finding of probable cause by the judge, the case is forwarded to the Second Judicial District Court for adjudication. Reno Justice Court is the trial court in misdemeanor cases.
|Main Business||775-325-6500||Click for Email|
Dress and Appearance
Appearing in court in tank tops, shorts or cut-offs is prohibited. Shirt and shoes are also required.
- Chapter 4 of the Nevada Revised Statues pertains to the jurisdiction of Justice Courts
- Justice Court Rules of Reno Township
- Justice Court Rules of Civil Procedure (External Link )
The court is closed for business on the following holidays.
- New Year's Day (Observed) - Monday, January 2, 2017
- Martin Luther King, Jr's Birthday - Monday, January 16, 2017
- President's Day - Monday, February 20, 2017
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 29, 2017
- Independence Day - Tuesday, July 4, 2017
- Labor Day - Monday, September 4, 2017
- Nevada Day - Friday, October 27, 2017
- Veterans Day (Observed) - Friday, November 10, 2017
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 23, 2017
- Family Day - Friday, November 24, 2017
- Christmas Day - Monday, December 25, 2017