Stalking and Harassment

Stalking and Harassing Orders are not available in cases arising from domestic or intimate relationships e.g., sons, daughters, husbands, wives, boyfriend or girlfriend. If you need an Order in those cases, you should contact the Washoe County Family Court at (775) 325-6726 or visit the 2nd District Court's Domestic Violence website for more information.

Stalking and Harassment - How to Apply

A consistent pattern of stalking and/or harassment over a period of time must be alleged for the Order to be granted. Reno Justice Court's jurisdiction includes Reno Township. The stalking and harassing must have taken place within Reno Township for you to apply for the Order in Reno Justice Court.

  • You must personally appear at Reno Justice Court to fill out the Petition for Harassment and Stalking. You cannot send a friend or family member to do this for you.
  • The Petition must be completed and given to the clerk before it can be submitted to the judge for the Order. The Petition has to be returned to the court and submitted to the judge for a Temporary Order before the Temporary Order may be issued. The Petition itself is NOT a legal order until the judge enters a Temporary Order.
  • The clerk will contact you when the Temporary Order has been granted by the judge. You will be advised of the court date, which will be within 30 days, and when you must appear in court.
  • After picking up your orders at the court, you MUST have the Temporary Order served upon Respondent by the Washoe County Sheriff's Department or a Licensed Process Server. The Temporary Order is not valid until served upon the Respondent. t.
  • On the court date, the judge will determine if an Extended Order should be granted. If it is granted, the Temporary Order becomes an Extended Order and is in effect for a period of up to one year.
  • You will receive FOUR (4) copies of either the Temporary or Extended Order. The process server will require TWO (2) copies. The other TWO (2) copies should be retained by you in case the Order is violated and law enforcement personnel need to respond. Law enforcement personnel will need to see a copy of the Order and the proof of service before they will act upon an alleged violation of the Order. You should place one copy of the Order at any location where this may occur. You should also keep one copy of the order with you at all times.
  • Stalking and Harassment Forms
  • Stalking and Harassment Fees

Stalking and Harassment - Consequences

If the Respondent violates either the Temporary or the Extended Order, the Petitioner needs to call law enforcement personnel to report the violation. Law enforcement personnel will require a copy of the Order and the notification of service before they will act upon the violation. Once the law enforcement officer determines there has been a violation, a report will be made and a determination will be made as to whether to submit the report to the Washoe County District Attorney's Office for further investigation and/or prosecution. The Respondent MAY OR MAY NOT be arrested at this time. A determination as to whether to arrest will be made by the officer at that time.

If the officer decides to submit the report to the Washoe County District Attorney's Office for further review, the District Attorney will then make the decision as to whether to file criminal charges against the Respondent.

If the Washoe County District Attorney's Office files criminal charges against the Respondent, the Respondent`s case then follows the regular criminal process, which may include arrest, booking, posting of bail, arraignment and trial.

I Would Like To:



Stalking and Harassment Fees

Civil Division

Christine DeArman, Supervisor

Phone: 775-325-6501