COVID-19 Updates Impacting Washoe County Parks
All Washoe County parks, trails, and open spaces remain open. However, park visitors are required to:
Maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing per person for non-household members at all times.
Wear a face covering when entering the restroom or entering any indoor park facility per Emergency Directive 024.
All park rules and regulations continue to apply. PLEASE leash dogs, clean up after them and keep dogs off of the athletic fields.
Click here to view our Parks Reopening Matrix to see the tentative plans for reopening facilities and programs by Phase. Please note, this document is subject to change and is updated often.
Because this is a fluid situation that is changing quickly, we will continue to update this page whenever any new information is available. For up-to-date information and a complete list of closures by agency please also visit the COVID19 pages for City of Reno and City of Sparks.
- Trash services
- Washoe Golf Course
- Sierra Sage Golf Course
- Davis Creek Campground
- The Wilbur D. May Museum at Rancho San Rafael Park
- The HIVE at Lazy 5 Regional Park
- Bowers Mansion
- Tennis Courts
- Pickleball Courts
- Washoe Tennis Center
- Athletic Field Use by permit only following these guidelines
- Regional Archery Facility
- Washoe County's Regional Shooting Facility
- The Congregated Meal programs at Cold Springs Park and Lazy 5 Regional Park (by reservation only)
- All Reservable Buildings, Picnic Pavilions, Group Campsites, and Arboretum Gardens for private reservation only with 25 people or fewer per the recent capacity restrictions implemented by the Regional COVID-19 Incident Management Team.
Under Washoe County Phase 1 & 2 Guidance, most facilities are reopened with modified operations. Please click on the links above for specific information on modified operations.
Remaining Park Closures
All park closures were implemented as a result of the Governor's initial direction to shut down non-essential services and prohibit gatherings. Click to view all of the Nevada Governor's Emergency Directives.
The following park amenities will remain closed until further notice:
- Playground structures
- Parcourses/calisthenics equipment
- All drinking fountains
The following park facilities will also remain closed until further notice:
- The Galena Creek Visitor Center at Galena Creek Regional Park
- All Park Offices
The following will not open for the 2020 season:
- 2020 Great Reno Balloon Race
- 2020 Lazy 5 Summer Music Series
Regarding Trail Use on Peavine
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the current stay at home orders, our trails are busier than ever. This increased traffic has caused more passing by and potential contact during social distancing. Because we understand the importance of getting outside, enjoying nature and getting exercise, we have partnered with the Biggest Little Trail Stewardship, Forest Service, Reno Parks, and Off Road Nevada to come up with a plan for making Peavine a directional trail system in order to limit contact with people. These directions are purely a suggestion and are voluntary, so please be courteous and still yield as normal to one another.
Click to view the COVID-19 Temporary Directional Trail Recommendations and the Peavine Directional Map.
Some good tips for all trail use:
- Announce yourself early to others
- "Be Nice - Say Hi" and smile when passing
- Move at least 6 feet off the trail when passing
- Avoid congregating at intersections