Open Gym at the Hive is now open!
Please see below for current COVID-19 modifications.
Located at Lazy 5 Regional Park in Spanish Springs, The Hive is a uniquely designed 5,000 sq. ft. dome building, originally designed to store sand and salt for roads. It has recently been presupposed to serve as a recreation facility for the public. The Hive now features a full basketball court and is striped for two pickleball courts. It is currently open to the public during open gym hours and available to rent for private use. Potential uses for reservation groups include: private parties, sporting events, concerts or shows, educational facility, and/or other special events. This facility is located adjacent to the skate park and just west of the Nevada playground in the lower park near the soccer fields.
Open Gym at the Hive
Pickleball Hours: Tuesday 8-10am & Sunday 8-10am
Basketball Hours: Sunday 12-2pm
Hive Open Gym COVID-19 Modifications
- Limit group size (must be less than 25 people)
- Keep garage doors open for the duration of play for increased airflow and ventilation
- Please keep 6 feet apart whenever possible (especially while watching or waiting a turn to play)
- Use face coverings while watching or waiting to play
Reserving the Hive
The Hive is reservable from April through November from 9am to Park Close (7pm during spring, 9pm during summer, and 7pm during fall). Call for availability in winter.
Capacity: 100 people (up to 200 for large events with approval)
- Asphalt flooring
- Overhead lighting
- Bleacher seating for 120 people
- 4 - 6' x 2.5' rectangular tables
- 12 folding chairs
- ADA accessible
- Full basketball court (60' x 38')
- 2 Pickleball courts
- Sports equipment - basketball and pickleball
- 4 - 110v electrical outlets
- 1 - portable ADA restroom
- Potable water
- Natural (open air) ventilation - not HVAC system
- $70.00 per 2.5-hr block for up to 100 people
- $1.00 per person over 100 per 2.5-hr block of time
- After 5pm, an additional $25.00/hr After Hours Fee
- Liability insurance required for groups over 50 people
- The Cancellation Policy is in effect when the reservation is made. Please read the Terms and Conditions before making a reservation
- Reservations can be made one year in advance from the current date
- Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks in advance of the current date
- Music or any amplified sound is allowed. The doors to the facility must be kept closed.
- Alcohol is not permitted at any reservable facility unless permitted through a Facility Use Permit
- Animals are not permitted in the facility
- Balloons permitted, but must be anchored down and not popped, or released in the park
- No tape, tacks, or nails can be used for decorations
- No pinatas, glitter, or confetti permitted
- No water games, dunk tanks or other water based activities permitted
- Vendor trucks are not permitted in the park without prior authorization. If you would like your event catered by a vendor truck, please contact Parks Reservations for rules and regulations
- Your group is responsible for knowing and adhering to all Washoe County Parks rules and regulations
How to Reserve:
Contact Parks Reservations at (775) 823-6501 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For a tour of the facility, contact the Lazy 5 Park Ranger Office at (775) 424-1866.