Park Ranger Office: (775) 828-6612
Located along the Truckee River, this park is adjacent to the east of the Mayberry Underpass. It has three picnic tables, a nature trail with interpretive signs, improved parking, a paved bike path, and access to the Truckee River. This small park is extremely popular with hikers, dog walkers, bikers and fishermen.
Please observe all rules and regulations while visiting the park. See rules and regulations here.
Prior to the arrival of Euroamerican settlers, the Washoe Indians occupied this area, finding abundant food sources within the riparian areas surrounding the Truckee River. In 1844, John C. Fremont and Kit Carson ascended the Truckee River, mapping and writing reports to assist and encourage westward-bound pioneers. The historic 'Truckee Trail' came through this area in the late 1840's. It was the first wagon road opened over the Sierra Nevada. Nearby Mayberry Park is the site of the 23rd trail crossing of the river which was quite difficult due to the large, round boulders in the channel.
In the 1860's, this land was part of Hunter's Station (created & named after John M. Hunter), a pioneer ranch acting as a nice stop-over on the trail for travelling pioneers. It was also a vital starting point to move rail & timber to the mountian pass to help build the transcontinental railway. Before long, James Mayberry bought the station (1893) and turned it into a larger lumber camp and sawmill known as Mayberry's Landing.
In the early 1900's, this land became part of the Capurro Ranch, serving the agricultural needs of the Truckee Meadows. At some point, this land ended up in the hands of Dr. Massoud Dorostkar, a former anesthesiologist with Washoe Medical (now Renown). Dr. Dorostkar had a long history of donating to County Parks, beginning wth 12 acres of land in 1986 along the Truckee River which is now known as Dorostkar Park.
Activities: Picknicking, Hiking/Biking/Walking, Photography, Bird Watching, Fishing, Junior Ranger Program