Galena Creek Regional Park
North Entrance: 18250 Mt. Rose Highway, Reno, NV 89511 (click here to view a map)
South Entrance: 18350 Mt. Rose Highway, Reno, NV 89511 (click here to view a map)
Park Ranger Office: (775) 849-2511
This park is popular year-round. In the summer, enjoy hiking in the Sierra along Galena, Jones and White's Creeks. In the winter, visit the park for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and sledding.
Park Update: 12/13/2018
Winter Recreation at Galena Creek Regional Park
While Galena Creek Regional Park is an amazing place to recreate in the winter, many hazards exist in the park that are not present in other seasons. The following tips will help to make your visit to the park both safe and fun:
* During inclement weather, the park opening may be delayed (or may close early) to allow park crews to plow the roads and clear the pathways. Road conditions within the park may be hazardous at times, and intermittent closures of the roads may be possible. 4-wheel drive is recommended during the winter months. Check the latest highway conditions by calling 511 or visit www.nvroads.com. Parking is not permitted below the NDOT facility or along the highway.
* The Park will remian open on Christmas, New Years Day, and Martin Luther King Jr. holidays, weather permitting.
* Check your weather local weather forecast, and dress accordingly. Packing a few extra layers is always a good idea. Depending on the trail conditions, ice cleats or snowshoes may be necessary. Snowshoes may be available to rent at the Galena Creek Visitor Center. The Visitor Center is open Friday-Sunday from 9:00am-4:00pm through the winter. Call 775-849-4948 for availability.
* Please keep away from Marilyn's Pond and the banks of the creeks throughout Galena Creek Regional Park and the Galena Creek Recreation Area. The ice is not stable, and it is very dangerous to walk on. Marilyn's Pond is nearly 15 deep, and the water is ice cold. The creeks may flow faster this time of year depending on the weather, and the water is often colder than freezing. Hypothermia is fast and deadly in these conditions. Ice fishing is not premitted,
* Sledding is not permitted south of Galena Creek. Suggested areas for sledding include the area within the Nature Trail Loop, as well as many great options along the Bitterbrush Trail and Bearmat Loop (roads closed to vehicle traffic during winter). Sledding within the park is most easily accessed from the park's north entrance, just beyond the Galena Creek Visitor Center.
*Check our Facebook Page or call the park office at 775-849-2511 for the latest information.
Reservable Facilities at Galena Creek Regional Park
Reservable facilities include the Galena Fish Hatchery, the Camp We Ch Me lodge, the Bearmat Group Picnic Area, the Manzanita Group Picnic Area and the Jones Creek Group Picnic Area. For availability or to request a reservation, click here or contact Park Reservations at (775) 823-6501.
Call the ranger office at (775) 849-2511 for more park information and to arrange a tour.
Facilities: Bearmat Group Picnic Area, Manzanita Group Picnic Area, Jones Creek Group Picnic Area, Fish Hatchery, Camp WeChMe, Individual Picnic Areas, Outdoor Amphitheater, Fishing Pond, Visitor Center