Washoe County Parks has an established volunteer program providing hands-on opportunities to assist in keeping our parks clean, attractive, and safe for everyone to enjoy. There is something for almost everyone!
Contact: Denise Evans, Volunteer Coordinator
(775) 785-4512 x107, email@example.com
VOLUNTEERING AS A GROUP
Many of the larger scale projects tackled by Washoe County Parks staff could not be completed without the help of a volunteer group. Whether you are part of a neighborhood association, civic group, faith-based organization, service organization, school group, business or other community organization - we can use your help! We will do our best to work with your schedule and abilities at a location that is convenient for you. Our staff will work closely with you to provide direction and will loan you all of the necessary supplies, tools, and safety equipment needed to get the job done. Already have a project in mind or would like to make a donation towards supplies? Please let us know!
VOLUNTEERING AS AN INDIVIDUAL
There are several ways individuals can lend a hand. To get started, contact the Volunteer Coordinator Denise Evans.
- Rancho San Rafael Park - Nevada Farms and Families Area Volunteer - There are opportunities suited for almost every interest and ability from working with the public to general park maintenance, even helping to take care of our resident turkeys! Learn more specifics about volunteering in this somewhat hidden gem of Rancho San Rafael Park at the Nevada Farms and Families volunteer page.
- Hive Recreational Facility Volunteer - Help to supervise basketball and/or pickleball "open gym" and assist in opening and closing the building. Learn more about the Hive at Lazy 5 Regional Park.
- Park Ranger Aide - Work under the direction of a park ranger to perform general park beautification and maintenance. Tasks may include litter picking, weeding, pruning, and more. Let us know if you have a special skill that you would like to apply! Opportunities exist at any of our parks.
- Trail Monitor - Work independently to monitor the condition of the trails and report your findings back to park staff.
- Litter Picker - Work independently to pick up litter while enjoying your normal activities in Washoe County Parks. Keeping a log of your hours while doing this can help us with grant funding!
- Arboretum Volunteer - Tasks vary by individual skill level but include raking, grooming trails, deadheading, weeding, pruning, watering, and more. Learn more specifics about volunteering at the Wilbur D. May Arboretum on the Arboretum volunteer page.
- Front Desk and other various opportunities at the Galena Creek Visitor Center
Washoe County Parks partner with Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful (KTMB) for several community cleanups throughout the year including the Great Community Cleanup in Spring and the Truckee River Cleanup in late September. Visit KTMB.org/volunteer for dates and to sign up!
Adopt-A-Spot (parks, open space, sections of the river, roadways) is a program that lets you take an active roll in the ongoing care of the particular site of your choosing. Projects can range from simple upkeep to more involved projects done in cooperation with Parks staff. The Adopt-A-Spot program is facilitated by Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful and funded by the Washoe County Health District. Find out more about Adopt-A-Spot.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEER HOURS
If you are a student enrolled in a class or school that requires volunteer hours, Washoe County can help you achieve your hours and will assist in filling out any needed documentation. Minors require a parent's consent, and must have an chaperone if younger than 16.
COURT ORDERED COMMUNITY SERVICE
Washoe County Parks accepts sixteen and seventeen year olds who need to fulfill a community service requirement. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator to make arrangements. We reserve the right to refuse anyone and have a zero tolerance policy for no-shows.
Contact Volunteer Coordinator Denise Evans at (775) 785-4512 x107 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!