Reno, Nev. June 9, 2020. The Washoe County 2020 Primary Election is in full swing, below is an update on what’s new, how to see current turnout, and when to expect results:
What’s New this Election:
- Same-Day Registration: For the first time, new Nevada State legislation, AB 345, allows residents register to vote the same day as the election.
- NEW Live Polling Location Wait Time feature online: The Registrar of Voters website now offers a real-time Polling Location Wait Time feature that provides the current wait time at the one in-person polling place at the County Complex.
- NEW Elections Results Dashboard feature online: The Registrar of Voters Office and Technology Services developed a new Election Results Dashboard which will be launched shortly after the poll closes on Primary Election Day. This Dashboard can be found by clicking the “Results” button here. Due to AB 345 and the mail-in election, these results will be updated daily at 10am until June 16, 2020.
- Only Unofficial Election Results will be available on Primary Election Night: Because voters now have the ability to register to vote on the same day as the election, the Registrar of Voters must thoroughly process those ballots including any remaining mail-in ballots that were postmarked on Primary Election Day, within 7 days. That means that it's likely you may not see a clear winner on Primary Election night as may have been the case in past elections. For a timeline of how the Election Results are processed, please click here.
- June 19 is the day for OFFICIAL Election Results: The Canvass of the Vote will take place before the Board of County Commissioner on June 19, 2020. Until this time, all Election Results are considered unofficial, as the Registrar of Voters are still counting ballots up through June 16, while also resolving provisional ballots.
Primary Election Turnout Reports:
On Primary Election Day, the Registrar of Voters Office will update voter turnout reports four times for the day. Click here for the current turnout report and numbers.
When will Election Results be available?
Shortly after the polls close on Primary Election Day, and the Registrar of Voters has approval from the Nevada Secretary of State’s Office, a new Results Dashboard will be available to the public. This Dashboard can be found by clicking the “Results” button here. This Results Dashboard will be updated daily at 10am after Primary Election Day until June 16, the last day to process ballots. However, the final and official results are shared before the Board of County Commissioners on June 19 during the Canvas of the Vote.