Washoe County is Seeking Applicants to Serve on the Washoe County Board of Adjustment
Vacancy is to Represent Commission District 5 on the Board of Adjustment

The Board of Adjustment hears and decides on applications for land use issues (e.g., Special Use Permits, Variances, Administrative Permits and certain types of Appeals).  This appointment is to fill a full term in the unincorporated portion of Washoe County Commission District 5 commencing on July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2024.  Unincorporated District 5 generally includes the areas of Verdi, North Valleys, Cold Springs, Warm Springs, portions of Sun Valley and all of the High Desert Area Planning Area extending to the Oregon border.

Membership Requirements

Applicants for the Board of Adjustment must be residents of unincorporated Washoe County and the area from which they are to be appointed (District 5) as described above and per map link:  They must also be registered voters.  The voter registration requirement may be waived by the Washoe County Board of Commissioners.  The Board of Adjustment regularly meets the first Thursday of each month at 1:30 p.m. in the Washoe County Commission Chambers.  Meetings average 3 to 4 hours in duration.  At times, special meetings of the Commission may be called by the Chair.  Each member of the Board of Adjustment is compensated $80 per meeting attended.

More information & To Apply

To apply online, please go to the “Board & Commission Openings” page of the Washoe County website:  and click on the Board of Adjustment announcement.  You can also obtain an application from the Washoe County Community Services Department, Planning & Building Division, 1001 East Ninth Street, Reno, NV 89512; 775-328-3600.  Please note that when you submit your application it becomes part of the public record and is available for public review (personal information will be redacted).

Staff Contact:  Kathy Emerson 775-328-3615,


Deadline to Apply:  Friday, April 17, 2020, 5:00 p.m. 

Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »