For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. Jan. 14, 2020. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting:
1. Selection of new Commission Chair and Vice Chair for the upcoming year. Washoe County Board of Commissioners voted today to select Commissioner Bob Lucey as Chair for 2020. Commissioners also selected Commissioner Marsha Berkbigler, as Commission Vice-Chair for 2020.
“I want to thank the Commission for allowing me to serve as Chair this year,” remarked outgoing Commission Chair, Vaughn Hartung. “I appreciate the opportunity to serve and look forward to this next year.”
The motions for the selection of the Chair and Vice-Chair passed unanimously.
“My hope and goal is to serve all of the citizens of Washoe County to the very best of my ability,” said incoming Commission Chair, Bob Lucey.
2. Commissioners appoint new Incline Village General Improvement District Trustee. During a public hearing today, Washoe County Board of Commissioners appointed a new trustee to fill a vacancy on the Incline Village General Improvement District (IVGID) Board of Trustees.
On Dec. 18, 2019 IVGID held a special meeting to fill a vacancy previously occupied by Phil Horan. During this meeting, the Board could not come to an agreement on an appointment, therefore per Nevada Revised Statute 318.090, the Washoe County Board of Commissioners will appoint an applicant to fill the vacancy. Washoe County began accepting applications on Dec. 24, 2019 and closed the application process on Jan. 6, 2020. This application process produced eight applicants.
After a process that included a presentation by each applicant, and Q&A session, the Board of County Commissioners selected Sara Schmitz to serve as the new IVGID Board of Trustee.
3. Commissioners approve conveyance of Verdi Historic Schoolhouse and Verdi Volunteer Fire property to the Verdi History Preservation Society, Inc. On December 17, 2019 Commissioners approved a motion to adopt a Resolution of Intent to Convey, provide public notice, and establish a public hearing to convey Verdi Historic Schoolhouse and Verdi Volunteer Fire property to the Verdi History Preservation Society, Inc. in the amount of $2.00, to utilize the property for civic and community functions.
Today, a public hearing was held to allow for any objections regarding the conveyance. With no objections, the Board moved forward approving to transfer the schoolhouse and volunteer fire property to the Verdi History Preservation Society, Inc.
4. Commissioners approve appointments to the Washoe County Law Library Board of Trustees. The Board of County Commissioners approved the following appointment and re-appointment:
- Appointment of Patricia Halstead to serve as an attorney member for a two-year term expiring on January 31, 2022.
- Re-appointment of Cortney Young to serve as an attorney member for a two-year term expiring on January 31, 2022.