I voted


Washoe County Lazy 5 Regional Park closed due to active investigation
Park to re-open as soon as possible

Media Release
For Immediate Release

Contact: Amy Ventetuolo

UPDATE as of Dec. 4, 2019 at 8:30 a.m.:

Washoe County Lazy 5 Regional Park is now re-opened to the public. For information regarding this week’s incident or tips for law enforcement, please click here.


Reno, Nev. Dec. 3, 2019. Washoe County officials are saddened to announce that Lazy 5 Regional Park is currently closed due to an active Washoe County Sheriff’s Office investigation involving a fatal shooting incident that took place on the evening of Dec. 2, 2019.

In addition to the park closure, Washoe County Senior Services has canceled senior meal services at Lazy 5 Regional Park today, Dec. 3, 2019.

“Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space prides itself on providing a safe and welcoming environment,” says Colleen Wallace-Barnum, Washoe County Parks Superintendent. “Despite this tragic incident, we are dedicated to re-opening Lazy 5 Regional Park as soon as possible, and working closely with the Sheriff’s Office to identify and address safety issues within the area.”

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office would like to share the following safety tips with the public:

Be Informed

  • If you see something, say something to an authority right away.
  • Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers.

Make a Plan

  • Make a plan with your family, and ensure everyone knows what they would do, if they hear shots fired or confronted with an active shooter.
  • Look for the two nearest exits anywhere you go, and have an escape path in mind & identify places you could hide.
  • Understand the plans for individuals with disabilities or other access and functional needs.

For more Washoe County Sheriff's Office safety tips, click here.

For questions regarding Washoe County Parks, or the re-opening of Lazy 5 Regional Park, please contact Washoe311 by dialing 3-1-1 from any phone, or 328-2003.



Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »