For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. July 16, 2019. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the TMFPD Board of Fire Commissioners and Washoe County Board of Commissioners meetings:
1. Board of Fire Commissioners hear update on Jasper Fire. Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District (TMFPD) Deputy Chief Alex Kukulus and Fire Officer Management Officer John Palma with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Nevada, provided an update to the Fire Commissioners on the Jasper Fire.
The Jasper Fire started on Saturday afternoon, July 13, 2019, the same day the BLM initiated fire restrictions which prohibit certain activities that could cause fires on public lands. TMFPD took initial command of the fire, until Sierra Front Type 3 Incident Management Team 1 took over Sunday morning, July 14. Three structures have been confirmed destroyed; one primary residence and two out-buildings. The fire consumed 1,165 acres, largely on federal land, and in the general vicinity north of Sun Valley, south of Eagle Canyon Drive, east of Chimney Road, and west of Spanish Springs. The cause of the fire was target shooting. The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office arrested two individuals for destruction of property by fire through gross negligence.
2. Commissioners approve appointment of new Deputy Fire Chief. The Board of Fire Commissioners approved an employment agreement with Alex K. Kukulus who has been promoted to Deputy Chief of Operations for the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District. Chief Kukulus has served as a Battalion Chief for the Fire District since 2012. He began his fire service career in 1997. His past experience includes service with the City of Sparks and Carson City Fire Departments. “Chief Kukulus has the experience and breadth of knowledge to serve our Fire District,” said Fire Chief Charles Moore. “We look forward to Alex’s leadership in raising the bar when it comes to providing our residents the best fire, rescue, and advance life support services possible.”
(Pictured left: County Commission Chair, Vaughn Hartung, newly appointed Deputy Fire Chief, Alex Kukulus and Fire Chief, Charles Moore.)
3. Board of County Commissioners accept the following donations:
- Donation to the Washoe County Community Services department in the amount of $320,000 from the Wilbur May Foundation for general operating support and support temporary exhibits.
- Donation to the Washoe County Human Services Agency, Senior Services in the amount of $1,564.50 from generous community members to the Washoe County Senior Centers.
- Donation to the Washoe County Human Services Agency in the amount of $11,705 from generous community members to support child welfare activities.