For Immediate Release
Contact: Adam Mayberry
Reno, Nev. June 28, 2019. Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District and Washoe County wish everyone a safe summer and happy Fourth of July. As plans to celebrate Independence Day are firing up, please be aware of the following safety information and office closures:
- It is illegal to possess or use fireworks and/or pyrotechnics within the Truckee Meadows and North Lake Tahoe Fire Districts which includes the unincorporated areas of Washoe County.
- If you’re going to a firework display, please leave pets at home in a safe, cool area before fireworks start, with windows and doors closed. During fireworks displays, keep a television or radio on to help mask the commotion of fireworks going on outside.
- Confining your dog or cat to the inside of a car, even on a mild day, can result in a life-threatening situation for your pet. Per state law, it is illegal to allow a cat or dog to remain unattended in a parked or standing motor vehicle during a period of extreme heat or cold or in any other manner that endangers the health or safety of the cat or dog.
- To report a distressed animal in a locked car, contact Washoe County Regional Animal Control Dispatch at (775) 322-DOGS between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. daily. Contact 911 after hours.
- Never throw cigarettes from a moving vehicle, extinguish cigarettes in proper designated receptacles.
- Target shooters are encouraged to use a firing range such as Washoe County’s Regional Shooting Facility.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children and never leave young children alone with an open flame.
- Click here for information on wildfire terminology and evacuation preparedness.
Fourth of July Closures:
Most Washoe County offices will be closed Thursday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day.
The following county offices will be closed:
- Administrative offices at the Washoe County Complex: 1001 E. Ninth Street, Reno, 89512
- All Washoe County libraries will be closed. Please go to washoecountylibrary.us to place a hold, renew a checkout, and download eBooks, research databases and more.
- Regional Animal Services Shelter Operations and Office will be closed, but field operations will continue as normal.
- Reno Justice Court, Sparks Justice Court, Incline Village Justice Court, Incline Constable and Wadsworth Justice Court
- The Second Judicial District Court
- The Washoe County District Attorney’s Office
- The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office - all administrative offices and front desk
- Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District - all administrative offices and front desk
- Washoe County Human Services Agency and all meal distribution locations.
The following county offices will be open:
- The Office of the County Clerk at the Washoe County Complex will remain open throughout the holiday from 8 a.m. to midnight for the issuance of marriage licenses, fictitious firm names and notary bond filings, as well as property tax payments for the Treasurer’s Office.