For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. April 16, 2019. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting:
1. Board of County Commissioners issue proclamations. The following proclamations honor key dates and happenings in our community and around the nation:
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim April 2019 as National Arab American Heritage Month. The proclamation honors the contributions and heritage of Arab Americans to build a better nation.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 2019 as Older Americans Month. The proclamation illustrates the commitment of the Washoe County Human Services Agency to engage and support older adults, their families, and caregivers.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 2019 as National Bike Month, Bicycle Safety Month and Washoe County Bike Month. The proclamation promotes alternative forms of transportation to improve the quality of life and ensure the safety and respect of all users on Nevada roadways.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 2019 as One Truckee River Month. The proclamation builds awareness and engagement with the community to protect and care for the river.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 2019 as Nevada Wildfire Awareness Month. The proclamation encourages awareness of fire prevention efforts and preparation to survive wildfire.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 1, 2019 as Law Day. The proclamation recognizes the rights of citizens and enables us to reflect on the way that freedom of speech and freedom of the press provide the foundation for our free society.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 2, 2019 as National Day of Prayer. The proclamation honors the 68th annual National Day of Prayer to give thanks for the gift of freedom and express our overwhelming gratitude for those who defend it.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim June 2019 as Lake Tahoe Wildfire Awareness Month. The proclamation encourages preparedness by practicing evacuation and working to become a fire-prone community.
To see photos of all today’s proclamations, please click here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPtq8kuwuF0WuJVj1
2. Board of County Commissioners accept the following donations:
- Donation to the Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space programs and facilities in the amount of $7,382 on behalf of the generous businesses, organizations and individuals of Washoe County.
- Donation to the Washoe County Human Services Agency in the amount of $300,000 on behalf of Grace Community Church of Reno to support the expansion of Crossroads for young clients ages 18-24 on the Northern Nevada Adult Mental Health Services campus.
- Donation to the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office for the Citizen Corps Program in the amount of $300 on behalf of Fire Shows West to support the Citizen Corps Programs (CCP), whose volunteer teams include the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), Citizen’s Homeland Security Council (CHSC) / Terrorism Liaison Officer Volunteer (TLOV) program and Rail Auxiliary Team (RAT Pack).
- Donation to the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $10 on behalf of a private citizen to be used for operating costs.
3. Commissioners direct Special District Funds. The Board of County Commissioners has approved special district funds disbursement for Vice-Chair Bob Lucey in the amount of $15,000 to support efforts to increase pedestrian safety at the intersection of Edmonton and Butch Cassidy and in the Galena Terrace residential area.
In addition, Commissioners approved special district funds disbursement for Commissioner Jeanne Herman in the amount of $17,500 to support Washoe County Human Services Agency’s CrossRoads program, Nevada State High School Rodeo Association for the Washoe County High School Rodeo Club, Washoe County Sheriff’s Office for the RAVEN helicopter, Gerlach Fire Station, North Valleys High School to support the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, Spanish Springs High School to support the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, Vya Conservation District to support the group’s mission to foster and support natural resource conservation and Washoe Storey Conservation District to support an educational Sage grouse exhibit.