For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. October 16, 2018. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting:
1. Multiple proclamations issued. The Board of County Commissioners made the following proclamations:
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim October 17-27 National Friends of Libraries Week. The proclamation honors Friends of Washoe County Library and their donations of time and resources to advocate well-funded libraries to provide a wide variety of services to all ages.
- Board of Commissioners proclaim October 2018 as National Community Planning Week. The proclamation highlights the contributions of sound planning and plan implementation to increase the quality of our communities and environment.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The proclamation recognizes and supports employees and their families who are currently battling breast cancer, those who have survived the battle and especially, remembers our employees who have lost the battle to breast cancer.
2. Commissioners accept multiple donations from generous community members.
- Donation to Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space in the amount of $25,144 from various businesses, organizations and individuals to be used for programs and facilities.
- Donation to Washoe County Risk Management in the amount of $1,500 from REMSA to be used for maintenance of automated external defibrillator devices.
- Donation to the Washoe County Law Library in the amount of $4,410 from the Washoe County Bar Association.
- Donation to Washoe County Human Services Agency, Senior Services Division in the amount of $3,613.22 from generous community members.
- Donation to Washoe County Human Services Agency in the amount of $2,400 from generous community members to be used for needs of the children in care at the Kids Kottage emergency shelters.
- Donation to Washoe County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $380 from generous community members.
- Donation to Washoe County Sheriff’s Office for a HH-1H Huey Helicopter valued at $922,704 from the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office.
“We will put these to great use for our entire community,” says Commissioner Bob Lucey. “We appreciate all of these donations, thank you.”
3. Commissioners direct their Special District Funds. The Board of County Commissioners approved special district funds disbursement as follows:
- A $4,000 grant to the Human Services Agency to support the development of the Incline Community Center and a $1,000 grant to the Friends of Washoe County Library.
- A $1,500 grant to the Knights of Columbus Ponderosa Charities to support Matthew Cummings’ Eagle Scout Project and a $1,177 grant to the Children’s Cabinet to support the Art of Childhood event.
4. Cancellation Notice of future meetings. The Board has approved to cancel the November 20, 2018 and December 25, 2018 Board of County Commission meetings due to the holidays.