Washoe County Library System celebrates Teen Read Week and encourages teens to read something just for the fun of it! The 2018 event will be held Oct. 7 - 13th, featuring the theme "It's Written in the Stars: READ." Library staff encourage teens to think and read outside of the box, as well as seek out fantasy, science fiction and other out-of- this-world reads. Teen Read Week is a time to celebrate reading while encouraging teens to take advantage of reading in all its forms —books, magazines, e-books, audiobooks and more! It is also a great opportunity to encourage teens to become regular library users.
In recent years, many families have had to adapt to make do with less as a result of the economy. Teen Read Week is a great opportunity for teens and their families to learn about all the free services and resources the Washoe County Library System offers. Strong reading skills are more critical than ever because they translate into better performance at school and better preparedness for careers. This is why it is important to take advantage of Teen Read Week and show teens that reading is a fun and relaxing activity they can do for free.
You can help us celebrate Teen Read Week by subscribing to our Teen Scene newsletter, featuring the newest and best in Young Adult (YA) fiction! Subscribe today, and check out our other great newsletters while you're there.
Parents or caregivers of teens are also encouraged to celebrate Teen Read Week at home. Washoe County Library System offers these ideas:
- Set aside time each day for the family to read
- Give books or magazine subscriptions to your teen as a gift or reward
- Share your favorite book with your teen
- Go online with your teen to learn about new books or authors by visiting http://tinyurl.com/yalsabookawardslists, or use YALSA’s free Teen Book Finder app
- Host a book discussion group
- Build an in-home library (thrift stores and yard sales offer an inexpensive way to do that)
- Listen to audiobooks on trips
- Create a cozy reading corner somewhere in your home
Teen Read Week™ is a national adolescent literacy initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) a division of the American Library Association. It began in 1998 and is held annually in October the same week as Columbus Day. For more information, visit www.ala.org/teenread.