For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. Sept. 18, 2018. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting:
1. Board of County Commissioners issue multiple proclamations. The Board of County Commissioners made the following proclamations:
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim Washoe County as a Purple Heart County. The proclamation honors the contributions and sacrifices of the men and women who served in the Armed Forces which have been vital in maintaining the freedoms and way of life enjoyed by our citizens.
- Board of Commissioners proclaim September 2018 as National Preparedness Month. The proclamation encourages residents to be ready for emergencies by making a plan, assembling a kit and staying informed.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim October 2018 as Sudden Unexpected Infant Death Awareness Month. The proclamation seeks to bring awareness of the risks of unsafe sleep environments and promoting the Safe to Sleep campaign.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaims September 2018 as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. The proclamation acknowledges the American Cancer Fund for Children and Kids Cancer Connection, founded by Steven Firestein, a member of the philanthropic Max Factor Cosmetic family, to help these children and families battling cancer.
2. Commissioners accept multiple donations from generous community members.
- Donations to Washoe County Human Services Agency in the amount of $225,000 from Grace Community Church of Reno to support the expansion of the Women’s Crossroads program.
- Donations for volunteer fire fighter/emergency medical providers training in the amount of $11,800 from Black Rock, LLC in support of increased demand for fire and emergency medical services associated with the “Burning Man” event.
- Donation of a used 6 foot open cargo trailer, estimated value of $500, and a 250 gallon propane tank, estimated value of $600, to the Regional Public Safety Training Center from Bi-State Propane (Amerigas) to be used to transport propane to the training areas.
- Donation to Washoe County Health District’s Vital Statistics Program in the amount of $10.00 from Mr. James Clawson to be used for operating supplies.
“We greatly appreciate the generous donation of Grace Community Church of Reno. The Crossroads program is a nationally-recognized program to help women and men with wrap around services to combat addiction issues. We appreciate all of the generous donations to Washoe County, we really cannot do it without the support of all of you” remarked Vice-Chair Kitty Jung.
Commissioner Bob Lucey also commented on the Grace Church of Reno donation, “I want to thank Grace Church for this donation; it is going to double the capacity to help these women and children. The work Grace Church has done is helping these women see a new future and a new day. They are a wonderful partner, thank you” said Commissioner Lucey.