For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. April 17, 2018. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting.
1. Board of County Commissioners issue proclamations. The following proclamations honor key dates and happenings in our community and around the nation:
- Board of County Commissioners proclaims May 3, 2018 as National Day of Prayer. The proclamation recognizes the 67th annual National Day of Prayer, along with the State of Nevada.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaims May 2018 as Older Americans Month. The proclamation honors senior citizens and those supporting older adults, and urges residents to recognize them as a vital part of our community.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaims May 2018 as National Bike Month and Bicycle Safety Month. The proclamation encourages bicycling to improve health and well-being and educating the community on proper and safe operations of motor vehicles and bicycles.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 1, 2018 as Law Day. The proclamation recognizes a special day for Americans to appreciate our laws and Constitution, with 2018 marking the 60th anniversary of Law Day.
- Board of County Commissioners proclaim May 2018 as One Truckee River Month. The proclamation recognizes the collaboration of public and private partners working to encourage stewardship of the river and surrounding watershed.
2. Board of County Commissioners accepts the following donations:
- Donations to the Washoe County Regional Parks & Open Space in the amount of $9,268.30 in cash and $42,707 of in-kind donations on behalf of various businesses, organizations and individuals for Regional Parks & Opens Space programs and facilities.
- Donations to the Human Services Agency in the amount of $3,450.00 on behalf of the community and juror fee donations for children in care at the Kids Kottage emergency shelters.
- Donations to the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office K9 Unit in the amount of $19,810.00 on behalf of Washoe County K9 Partners for a WCSO K9 dog, equipment, and training for a new WCSO K9 handler.
3. Commissioners direct Special District Funds. The Board of County Commissioners has approved special district funds disbursement for Commissioner Hartung in the amount of $3,000 to benefit the following grants:
- The Board of Regents in the amount of $2,000 to support the Nevada Water Innovation Campus.
- The Friends of Washoe County Library in the amount of $1,000 to support the Spanish Springs Library’s STEAM-related programs and services.
For photos of the proclamations, see below: