For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. Jan. 16, 2018. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting.
1. The Board of County Commissioners proclaim January as National Radon Awareness Action Month. The Washoe County Board of County Commissioners proclaimed January 2018 as National Radon Action Month.
As the primary cause of lung cancer, killing over 21,000 people in the U.S. each year, radon is a colorless, odorless, naturally occurring radioactive gas that can occur inside a home. The only way to determine if a home has an elevated radon level is through testing.
Vice-Chair Kitty Jung, read the proclamation in today’s meeting and presented it to Susan Howe, Radon Education Program Director. The Nevada Radon Education Program in partnership with University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, are providing free kits throughout January 2018.
2. Commissioners direct Special District Funds. The Board of County Commissioners have approved special district funds disbursement for Vice-Chair Jung in the amount of $7,500 for funds requested to benefit the following organizations:
- Eddy House, in the amount of $2,500 to support their objective to end youth homelessness.
- Reno Bike Project, in the amount of $2,500 to support Bike Valet during the Reno Earth Day Event 2018.
- Northern Nevada Black Cultural Awareness Society, in the amount of $1,250 to support their mission of developing and promoting black cultural awareness throughout the Truckee Meadows.
- Friends of Washoe County Library, in the amount of $1,250 to support the Summer/Winter Reading Program 2018.
3. Board of County Commissioners accepts the following donations:
- Donation to Senior Services in the amount of $3,121.02 from multiple generous donors that assist in providing services to the growing senior population.
- Donation to the Gerlach Volunteer Fire Department in the form of a vehicle, estimated value of $1,454, from Mona Mae Cain for auto extrication and live fire training.
- Donation to the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $1,800 from the Nevada Bighorns Unlimited Reno to the Sheriff’s Reserve Deputy Program to fund training needs including food, travel, equipment and supplies.
- Donation to the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $300 from Fire Shows West for the Citizen Corps Program (CCP) for their volunteer efforts at the Fire Shows West event including the purchase of food, beverages, equipment and supplies.
For photos of the proclamations, please click here for our Flikr account.
# # #