Washoe County Announcement
Alternate Public Defender
Annual Salary: $111,363 - $144,768
Under general direction of an Assistant County Manager, the Alternate Public Defender plans, organizes and directs the actions of the Alternate Public Defender’s Office, including evaluation of legal complexities concerning cases and defense of indigent defendants in court in cases where the Public Defender cannot represent the defendant due to a conflict of interest.
Graduation from a recognized law school AND five years of full-time experience in the practice of law with a focus on criminal defense or two years of full-time experience as a Deputy Public Defender IV in Washoe County; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Ideal Candidate
Washoe County is seeking a strong leader who:
- Must be Death Penalty qualified.
- Has Criminal Trial and Appellate experience.
- Has experience with 432B Dependency Cases.
- Is familiar with Specialty Court practices.
- Is licensed to practice law in the State of Nevada and has no disciplinary action taken from the State Bar.
- 10 years experience practicing law.
- Brings experience in Strategic Planning , budgeting and supervising professional and administrative staff.
The Recruitment Timeline
September 13 – 27, 2017 - Recruitment open
Week of October 2, 2017 - Application review committee to identify top candidates
October 24, 2017 - top candidates to be interviewed in public session by the Board of County Commissioners
Anticipated Hiring Date: November 20, 2017
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early in the process. To apply: submit the required application at: https://jobs.washoecounty.us/joblisting/
In addition to the application, please include:
- Compelling cover letter including current compensation.
- Comprehensive resume which includes how the applicant meets the Ideal Candidate criteria.
- Professional references.
Please note that this recruitment will be managed in accordance with Nevada’s Open Meeting/Public Records law. Applicant information will remain confidential until such time as the candidate is selected as a finalist in the selection process. At that time, applicant information including candidate name, application, cover letter, resume, and other submitted information (with personal identification information redacted) will be provided to the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners as part of the Commission Meeting Agenda. Candidate finalists will be interviewed by the Board of County Commissioners and selection of the new Alternate Public Defender will take place in an open meeting.
Deadline for Applying
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Contact Cole McBride, the Recruiting Analyst, at 775-328-2090 or email@example.com
HR Front Desk phone: 775-328-2081 fax: 775-328-6119