Washoe County Announcement
Fire Services Community Coordinator (Gerlach)
Annual Salary: $65,977 - $85,779
This is an Open Competitive / Countywide Promotional recruitment being conducted to fill a current full-time vacancy in the County Manager’s Office in the community of Gerlach, Nevada. The list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
Under general supervision, the Fire Services Community Coordinator (Gerlach) plans, organizes and directs emergency and non-emergency activities of all volunteer personnel, the fire station and its equipment in a rural fire department; provides initial size up and command of major emergency response incidents; ensures operational readiness for emergency response; manages and participates in administrative tasks, programs and projects; recruits and manages volunteers; and performs related work as required.
Graduation from high school or equivalent education and three years of firefighter experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
License or Certificate
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment; must have the ability to obtain a Nevada’s Class "B" driver’s license with "F" endorsement upon completion of probationary period.
- State of Nevada Firefighter I, or equivalent which meets NFPA standards, is required at time of application.
- State of Nevada Firefighter II required within 6 months of appointment.
- Possession of a valid State of Nevada or National Registry Advanced Emergency Medical Technician Certificate and CPR certification required at the time of application. Paramedic Certificate is highly desirable.
- State of Nevada Ambulance Attendant certification required within 30 days of appointment.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- Have the leadership skills necessary to create a strategic, long-term plan for the volunteer fire services.
- Have the ability to create an effective, sustainable organization.
- Have a desire to be involved in local activities within a small community.
- Be willing to adhere to a flexible work schedule.
Conditions of Employment
- This position is located in Gerlach, Nevada and applicants must be willing to reside in or near (within 25 miles) Gerlach. Assistance with housing may be available if necessary.
- Selected applicants will be required to pass a thorough medical examination which may include, but not be limited to, a physical agility test prior to appointment and for continuing employment.
- Background checks will be conducted on selected applicants through the State of Nevada and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- All licenses and certifications required to be kept current and maintained for continued employment.
Applicants that most closely match the Experience and Training Requirements and the Ideal Candidate Criteria for the Fire Services Community Coordinator (Gerlach) will be invited to participate in an oral examination to evaluate the candidate’s knowledge, skills and abilities needed for success in the position. Final approval from the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Medical Director is required at the time of appointment.
Those applicants who do not meet the qualifications will be notified by email and have five (5) working days to request a review of their qualifications.
The oral exam will be weighted 100% and will evaluate the applicant’s expertise, knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Fire/Emergency Response Skills
- Emergency Medical Care Skills
- Incident Command Skills
- Fire Services Administration and Operations Management
- Interpersonal/Communications Skills
- Principles and Practices of Supervision
- Analytical and Organizational Skills
For additional information and to apply for the position, visit https://www.washoecounty.us/humanresources/jobopportunities.php
Deadline for Applying
Monday, September 18, 2017
Contact Karen Jeffer, the Recruiting Analyst, at 775-328-2078 or firstname.lastname@example.org
HR Front Desk phone: 775-328-2081 fax: 775-328-6119