For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nev. July 25, 2017. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting.
1. County code change approved allowing temporary business licenses for recreational marijuana. After a final reading today, Commissioners approved to adopt an ordinance change in Washoe County code to allow for temporary business licenses for recreational marijuana in unincorporated Washoe County to begin selling by August 4, 2017. These changes ensure compliance with state regulations initiated on June 13, 2017. According to the State of Nevada Department of Taxation, existing businesses with medical marijuana licenses that are in good standing are eligible to apply for recreational marijuana business licenses.
Washoe County has been working to create code changes for approval to meet these requirements. After today’s approval, the new code changes will be adopted, allowing three existing businesses and one cultivation facility to sell recreational marijuana beginning August 4, 2017 upon successful application processing.
“This process to approve temporary recreational licenses has been a diligent effort to comply with the state’s direction on recreational marijuana,” says Commissioner Kitty Jung. “We realize these licenses are the first step and we look forward to continually working with our partners on this initiative.”
2. Commissioners approve additional mosquito spraying. The Board of County Commissioners have approved the use of General Fund Contingency of $534,835 to cover mosquito spraying this summer in areas of the county with standing water as a result of the January and February 2017 floods. The Health District estimates approximately 3,180 acres that will require further mosquito larvicide treatments in order to best serve the interest of public health and safety.
3. Board and Commission Appointments. Commissioners approved the following appointments:
- Duane Meyer, appointment to Washoe County Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) Trust Fund Board of Directors.
- Dondi Armstrong, appointment to Washoe County Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) Trust Fund Board of Directors.
- Cynthia Vance, TMFPD Chief Fiscal Officer, appointment to Washoe County Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) Trust Fund Board of Directors.
- Michael W. Lawson, Washoe County Planning Commission member, appointment to Regional Road Impact Fee – Technical Advisory Committee.
- Scott Smith appointment to Truckee River Flood Control Project Needs Committee.
4. Grant award accepted from State of Nevada to Second Judicial District Court. Commissioners acknowledge grant award from the State of Nevada, Administrative Office of the Courts to the Second Judicial District Court in the amount of $915,430 in grant funding. Funds will support existing and newly-funded Specialty Court programs and the Adult Drug, Diversion, Veterans, Felony DUI, Family Drug, Family Mental Health, and Mental Health Courts.
5. Amended meeting schedule for August approved. Commission approved to cancel the August 15, 2017 and August 22, 2017 Board of County Commissioner meetings. There will be one Board of County Commissioner meeting this month on August 8, 2017.