For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nevada. Jan. 3, 2017. The Board of County Commissioners (BCC) unanimously elected Commissioner Bob Lucey as its new Chair. Chair Lucey represents District 2 and will serve a one-year term as County Commission Chair.
Chair Lucey was elected to the Commission in November of 2014 and started his first term in January of 2015. He represents District 2, which includes areas south of I-80 and west of Virginia St. to the Huffaker area. It also includes everything south to the southern border of Washoe County (outside the Tahoe Basin).
“I am extremely honored to serve as the next chairman of this amazing Board of Commissioners,” Chair Lucey said. “I look forward to the year ahead as we continue the good work this commission has been doing.”
In addition, the Commission also elected Commissioner Marsha Berkbigler as the Vice Chair for a one-year term.
Vice Chair Berkbigler is the Commissioner of District 1. She was elected to the BCC in 2012 and has been a government affairs advocate for more than 20 years, representing a variety of businesses. She’s handled all aspects of government relations for mining, engineering, health care, insurance, telecommunications and non-profit groups. She’s also managed a public and government relations department for a large corporation covering a multiple state market.
“I appreciate the support of this group,” Vice Chair Berkbigler said. “This is a top-notch team and I am pleased as well as honored to be working with you.”
On Dec. 31, 2016, Commissioner Kitty Jung (Dist. 3) concluded her one year term as Chair. During the past year, Commissioner Jung focused on expanding programs for seniors and improving Washoe County parks and libraries, among several other areas.
In other meeting news, Second Judicial District Court Chief Judge Patrick Flanagan led the following in the Oath of Office:
- Washoe County Commissioners Marsha Berkbigler (Dist. 1) and Vaughn Hartung (Dist. 4)
- Justice of the Peace, Reno, Department 2, Pete Sferrazza
- Justice of the Peace, Reno, Department 3, Ryan Sullivan
- Justice of the Peace, Reno, Department 5, Dave Clifton
- Justice of the Peace, Sparks, Department 2, Kevin Higgins
- Justice of the Peace, Sparks, Department 3, Jessica Longley
- Trustee, Incline Village General Improvement District, Phillip Horan
- Trustee, Sun Valley General Improvement, District Joseph Barstow
- Trustee, Sun Valley General Improvement, District Garth Elliott
- Trustee, Sun Valley General Improvement, District Carmen Ortiz
“I encourage the citizens of Washoe County that are here to take a moment after this ceremony and shake the hands of the people serving you and thank them for their sacrifice,” Chief Judge Flanagan said. “Taking the Oath of Office is an instrumental part of the process we call democracy.”