For Immediate Release
Contact: Adam Mayberry
Reno, Nevada. Aug. 4, 2016. Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2016, at 7:08 p.m., a citizen called 9-1-1 to report that his neighbor’s home was fully involved in smoke and flames. Unfortunately, that home was a total loss, and the preliminary investigation indicates the fire was a result of oily rags that were stored or disposed of improperly.
Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District (TMFPD) wants residents to know that this tragedy is a stark reminder about the dangers of every day combustibles.
“When citizens are working on a project that results in oily rags, such as cloths that have absorbed linseed oil or turpentine, these substances release heat as they oxidize. As they dry, they can spontaneously combust, igniting the cloths and spreading fire to other nearby combustible material,” TMFPD Chief Charles Moore said. “It’s very important to store oily rags in a tightly sealed metal ash can to prevent a fire, and store the can away from anything flammable. Rags can also be soaked in water in a metal can for at least 24 hours prior to disposal.”
Residents are reminded to always follow the manufacturer’s directions when using oil-based products.
TMFPD also wants to remind residents about our free Ash Can Program. Ash cans are still available at no cost to Washoe County residents.