For Immediate Release
Contact: Amy Ventetuolo
Reno, Nevada. June 21, 2016. The following report highlights several important agenda items from the Washoe County Board of Commissioners meeting on Tuesday, June 21, 2016. Videos of County Commission meetings are replayed regularly on WCTV (Charter Ch. 193). You may also watch videos on-demand online.
As required by Nevada law, the County Commissioners canvassed the returns from the Primary Election held in the County on June 14, 2016. County Commissioners approved the proposed Declaration of Canvass of Vote and Order for the 2016 Primary Election, which makes the results official.
Washoe County Registrar of Voters Luanne Cutler presented County Commissioners with information regarding the Primary Election. More than 21 percent of registered voters cast a ballot during the primary, of the voters that cast a ballot, 28 percent voted early, 9 percent absentee voted, and 43 percent voted on Election Day.
"A Declaration of Canvass of Vote is a very important part of this democratic process. Thank you to the thousands of people who participated in this election from the volunteers, County Commissioners, County staff and of course, all those who voted,” Cutler said.
Washoe County Commission Chair Kitty Jung congratulated the Registrar’s Office on a successful election.
“Thank you to our Registrar’s Office for ensuring democracy survives here in Washoe County,” Chair Jung said. “To all the volunteers and poll workers, we appreciate all your hard work to make this election happen.”
Primary Election By the Numbers
- 241,313 register voters (23,792 more than 2014 Primary)
- 20,136 Democrats voted equaling 22.85 percent of registered Democrats
- 26,923 Republicans voted equaling 28.81 percent of registered Republicans
You can find the final, official voter results for Washoe County online.
Watch the Washoe County Television’s behind-the-scenes look at the Registrar’s Office on Primary Day.
The Board accepted donations and proclaimed the following:
- May 10, 2016 is Sheriff Maddie Day.
- Faith Forum Proclamation commending Rajan Zed
- Support of the Eco Students Program at High Desert Montessori Charter School
- More than $21,000 in donations for the District Attorney’s Office Child Advocacy Center
- $3,9512 in cash donations for Social Services
- A $187,425 donation from the Friends of Washoe County Library for the Sierra View Library
- $1,642 in cash donations for Senior Services
All photos from Tuesday’s Board of County Commissioners meetings can be seen on the Washoe County Flickr page.