For Immediate Release
Contact: Scott Oxarart
775.328.2414 or 775.276.1021
Alyssa Guttenberg, RN, ND, and Shireen Banerji, PharmD, DABAT of the Rocky Mountain Poison Center and the Nevada Poison Center will be presenting on numerous topics related to poison control and prevention, May 18 through May 20, 2016, as part of an educational program hosted by the Washoe County Health District. Four workshop sessions are scheduled in two-hour blocks, and are free of charge. Continuing education credits are available for nurses and child care workers.
All workshops will be held at the Washoe County Health District, Conference Rooms A & B, at 1001 East Ninth Street in Reno. Workshops will be conducted at the following times:
- May 18th 6:30-8:30PM
- May 19th 10:00-12:00PM
- May 19th 6:00-8:00PM
- May 20th 10:00-12: 00PM
Topics to be covered include:
• The role of the Poison Center consultation in the poisoned patient
• Review decontamination of the poisoned patient
• Identify common exposures in Nevada in children and individuals of all ages
• Recognize the new trends seen in poison center exposures
• Review presentation and treatment of most common overdoses
• Discuss topics in pediatric environmental health
• Recognize the concepts of “Green Cleaning” and “Integrated Pesticide Management”
• Identify resources available for pediatric environmental health concerns.
Interest in hosting poison prevention trainings has risen recently with increased numbers of children poisoned by liquid nicotine e-cigarette refills. “We are fortunate to have these experts provide our community with training that can help reduce poisonings and save lives,” said Washoe County District Health Officer Kevin Dick. “Studies have shown that poison center services reduce emergency room visits and decrease the length of hospital stays when poisonings do occur,” Dick said.
Alyssa Guttenberg is a Certified Specialist in Poison Information providing information in telephonic consultation. She has 15 years of experience in the poison center industry. Alyssa is also the Rocky Mountain Poison Center’s Nevada Education Coordinator. Shireen Banerji is the Clinical Managing Director at the Nevada Poison Center with 17 years of experience. They are both based out of Denver, Colorado.
For more information contact Phil Ulibarri at email@example.com or (775) 328-2414.