Washoe ArTrail Project
The County in partnership with Burning Man and multiple community partners will develop a public participatory experience through an ArTrail that celebrates cultural, historic and artistic landmarks. The ArTrail will route along the Truckee River through the cities of Reno and Sparks, turn north to historic Lake Pyramid on Paiute Tribal land, and continue to the Gerlach area in the far northern region of Washoe County, over 200 miles.
The ArTrail will draw urban residents out of cities to experience and participate in the beauty and culture of the place we call home; and connect our rural residents to the economic, arts, and cultural features, organizations and individuals in our cities.
- Engage and connect residents with each other and this place
- Increase residents’ engagement with local art
- Celebrate the distinctive character and assets of Washoe County
- Economic Development
- Public art commissioned for two new installations – Crystal Peak Park, and Gerlach.
- Computer Application for iOS & Android that uses location-awareness and augmented reality to engage users with ArTrail sites.
- Community engagement with rural and urban residents to identify potential sites, and describe the new public art.
- Create the layers of engagement and authenticity with regard to the art, the artists, and the community.
- Identify and map existing cultural, historic and artistic landmarks (minimum of 10 for ArTrail).
- Educational content for each of the sites, for App & signage.
- Signage for at least 10 sites.
ArTrail in the Media:
Project Primary Partners:
Burning Man Project Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe Reno Sparks Indian Colony
Nevada Land Trust* KTMB* Gerlach GID
City of Reno City of Sparks Nevada Museum of Art
*One Truckee River (OTR)