TB Prevention and Control - Public Interest
TB Coordinator: Diane Freedman, RN PHN - 775-785-4787
The Washoe County Tuberculosis Control Program is dedicated to controlling the spread of tuberculosis by ensuring effective treatment for persons with active TB disease, identification and treatment of infected contacts and others with latent TB infection.
- Provide directly observed therapy (DOT) to persons with active TB disease
- Provide TB evaluation and consultation for clients referred by their physicians
- Identify and test persons exposed to someone with active TB disease (contact investigation)
- Evaluate new immigrants planning to reside in Washoe County for active TB disease
- Test household members of new immigrants
- Evaluate symptomatic persons living at shelters
- Test new group home residents referred by Washoe County Social Services
- Provide Latent Tuberculosis Infection (LTBI) treatment to:
- Infected contacts to active TB
- Children under 5 years of age and members of their household
- Immigrants and members of their household
- Homeless persons
- Former inmates who are homeless upon release from jail or prison
- Provide TB education to all persons residing in Washoe County
No information will be given out without your written permission EXCEPT as required by law and/or to provide services to you in compliance with Privacy and Security Standards.
Tuberculosis disease is a communicable illness (Nevada Administrative Code 441.A.040). This means that in certain circumstances information can be shared with others without your consent.
Providers are authorized, under HIPAA Section 164.512b "permitted disclosures" to release information pertaining to the TB disease without patient consent to release information.
Cost for services:
- Charges for service are on a sliding fee scale
- Insurance billing is provided