The Land Development Program (LDP) oversees the construction, deepening and abandonment of domestic drinking water wells. We do NOT permit agricultural wells or irrigation wells; those are overseen by the Nevada Department of Water Resources. We also do NOT oversee or regulate water quality in Washoe County. Water quality resources and information about how to apply for a domestic well permit are listed below.
Water Well Quality Resources
- EPA: Private well FAQ's
- EPA: Private well information
- Water Utility & Septic Funding Resources (WC Dept. of Community Service)
- Well Owner Resource (National Groundwater Association)
Nitrate Specific resources
- CDC - Disease & contaminants in private wells
- EPA - Basic information about nitrates in drinking water
- Nitrates and nitrates in drinking waters and surface waters
- Domestic Well Permit Application
- Well & Septic Loan Program - The Land Development Program staff will conduct water sampling of individual wells and inspect on-site sewage disposal systems and report the results of the samples and inspections to the lenders on request. The request can be made at the Washoe County Health District.
- Apply for a Well Drilling Permit - A well construction permit must be obtained from the Washoe County Health District to construct, drill, recondition or plug a well. The permit applications are available and are processed at the Health District offices.
- Well Plan Requirements - coming soon!
- Washoe County Department of Community Development
Inspections must be schedule no less than 24 hours prior to the desired time of inspection. Inspections are on a first come first serve basis. Please call the EHS front desk to schedule 775-328-2434.
Contact the Program
David Kelly, Senior Environmental Health Specialist