Kids Activity Survival Kit
You may have to leave your house during a disaster and may sleep somewhere else for a while. It is smart to put together your own Kid’s Activity Survival Kit so you will have things to do and share with other kids. These can all be stored in a backpack or duffel bag. Just make sure you can carry it easily.
Some suggested items for the Kids Activity Survival Kit:
- A factual book about disasters (earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes, rain, storms, floods and fires)
- A few favorite general books, which encourage comfort
- Non-toxic marking pens, crayons, pencils, and plenty of paper
- Scissors and glue
- Manipulative toys such as LEGOS
- 2 favorite small toys; a doll, action figure or stuffed animal
- 1 or 2 board games, puzzles
- Favorite blanket and/or pillow
- Picture of the family, including pets; write names on the back
- "Keep safe" box with a few of your child’s special treasures
Note to Parents
Parents need to make sure to have at least three phone numbers of nearest kin in the United States. This information should be given and kept on file with the school and the Washoe County MRC.
Parents should train their children to know the full name of each parent and the rest of the family members.