For Owners and Managers
Our mission is to educate and encourage multi-unit housing owners and managers to adopt voluntary indoor and outdoor smoke-free policies to create healthier living environments and help owners/managers save money.
The videos below highlight properties in Washoe County that have had a successful transition to smoke-free housing.
No Smoking Policy - ERGS
No Smoking Policy - Reno Housing Authority
Results from a 2014 multi-unit housing resident survey show:
Seventy-eight percent (78%) of Washoe County renters would support a smoke-free policy at their apartment complex.
Nearly 50% of Washoe County renters have been bothered by second-hand smoke at their apartment complex.
Nearly 95% of apartment residents support a designated non-smoking building on the property.
Resources to Adopt A Smoke-Free Policy
Questions & Answers
- What type of smoke-free policies should I implement?
- What is the big deal about drifting tobacco smoke?
- What are the legal concerns of implementing a policy?
- Are cigarettes really the unsafe in apartments?
- Smoke-free Apartment Housing Registry
- Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights
- MiSmoke-free Apartment
- See Washoe County's Smoke-free Housing list here