Smoke Free & Vape Free Outdoor Events
Why a smoke free and vape free policy is a good idea for your family-friendly event!
- Tobacco smoke is made up of more than 4,000 chemicals including over 70 known to cause cancer.
- According to the U.S. Surgeon General, there is NO safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke.
- The California Air Resources Board has classified secondhand smoke as an outdoor air pollutant.
- E-cigarette aerosol can contain harmful components including nicotine, ultrafine particles, heavy metals, and volatile organic compounds. At least 10 chemicals identified in this aerosol cause cancer.
- Smoke, ash, matches, and cigarette butts account for 31.5% of litter in our parks and outdoor recreation areas, according to Keep America Beautiful.
- Cigarette butts remain the number one littered item on roadways, and end up in waterways like the Truckee River.
- Cigarette butts leach toxic waste including nicotine, arsenic and lead.
- Many cigarette filters are made from plastic that will never biodegrade.
- Cigarette butts and e-juice cartridges are hazardous and highly toxic to children, pets and wildlife.
- Discarded cigarette butts and vaping devices pose a real fire risk in our dry desert climate.
- Some e-cigarette batteries have caused small fires and explosions.
- The CDC reports that when children see adults using tobacco products, including smoking and vaping, the behavior is normalized making children more likely to use tobacco.
Last modified on 05/30/2017