Signs of Illness: Including Blood Borne Pathogens
Childcare workers in Washoe County are required to take a class in the prevention and control of communicable diseases in the child care setting that is approved by the Washoe County Health District within 90 days from their hire date per Washoe County Department of Social Services Regulations for Child Care Facilities. In Washoe County, childcare workers must repeat the class every 3 years. [This class meets the requirements for 'Signs and Symptoms of Illness', but not 'First Aid' training for Child Care Providers.]
The Washoe County Health District no longer provides this class. Visit the Nevada Registry for a list of classes available in the community.
What's In It For Me?
- Identify the most important ways to prevent spread of disease in the child care setting, including proper hand washing and diapering.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of common communicable diseases seen in child care settings.
- Identify ways diseases are spread.
- Know when to exclude children and staff.
- Meet the regulatory requirements for training in Signs of Illness as a childcare worker.
Where Can I Find More Training Opportunities?
- The Nevada Registry
- The Children's Cabinet 775-856-6200
- Washoe County Social Services - 775-337-4470
- American Red Cross - 775-856-1000
- Certified CPR - 775-691-9952
- Childcare Health Consultant at the Washoe County Health District
- Rebecca Gonzales, Public Health Nurse 775-328-2476 or contact us
What Other Resources Are Available?
- Washoe County downloadable posters, charts, and activities:
- Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools Manual
- Communicable Disease Recommendations for School and Child Care Centers Wall Chart
- Washoe County diapering poster:
- Hand washing: Contains links for downloadable lesson plans, posters, coloring books, and activities
- Word search
- Common cold quiz
- Common cold quiz with answers
- Handwashing poster from Washington
- Washoe County Health District Fact Sheets for Providers and Parents
- Communicable Disease Prevention Program
- Communicable Disease Reporting - Washoe County 775-328-2447
- Nevada Department of Health and Human Services: Division of Child and Family Services
- National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education
- Hennepin County, Minnesota Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools Manual - includes fact sheets and parent information for 47 diseases.
- Immunizations: Washoe County Health District - Immunizations
- EHS (Environmental Health Services)
- OSHA Modified Exposure Control Plan for child care samples. The Washoe County Health District does not endorse any one of the samples listed below. They are strictly for reference purposes to help you develop a plan for your facility.
Where Can I Find The New Regulations?
Where Do I Go For Information For My Family And My Health?
Go to GetHealthyWashoe.com
Last modified on 08/16/2018