Wolf Pack Coaches Challenge
What is the Coaches Challenge?
The Wolf Pack Coaches Challenge is a voluntary program for elementary school classrooms that:
- Promotes increased opportunities for physical activity
- Educates students about healthy eating by including "Smart Snack Standards"
- Provides lesson plans that match the Common Core Curriculum, Next Generation Science Standards and Social Emotional Learning to reduce burden on teachers
How does the Coaches Challenge work?
Elementary school classrooms and students participate over four consecutive weeks to earn points for prizes by:
- Eating fruits and veggies in and out of school
- Participate in one-minute "Brain Breaks" with moving-learning activities
- Spend 15 minutes doing physical activity in and out of school
Educational lessons are provided for teachers to use during the course of the program and are fully adaptable to fit each unique classroom's needs, while meeting state and federal education standards. At the end of the program, winning classrooms are selected at each grade level for having the highest average class point totals.
Why should my classroom participate?
- Prizes are provided to all participants and winning classrooms
- Teachers are awarded 2 tickets to a Wolf Pack game for signing up
- Teachers have the option of earning 1.0 in-service credit through MyPGS
It's good for KIDS!
- Students and teachers can incorporate healthy habits into daily living
- Student's classroom behavior can improve
- Physical activity and healthy eating habits can be protective against: social problems, attention problems (ADD and ADHD), oppositional defiant problems, conduct problems and depression and anxiety.
- Washoe County Health District provides the curriculum, instructions, participation prizes and classroom posters
- Nevada Athletics provides the grand prizes
How can my classroom be involved?
The 2020 Wolf Pack Coaches Challenge will run from February 3– February 28 2020. Please read the options below for sign-up. Registration closes January 16, 2020
- This program has been approved for one credit towards an In-Service credit by the Washoe County School District. If you would like to earn credit please sign-up on MyPGS (course # 13376). Please note the following:
- If you have previously earned credit for WPCC you will not be able to earn credit again.
- If there are three or more teachers participating at the same school, teachers may hold meetings at their school site on Weeks 2-5 for 2.25 hours each week instead of attending the scheduled group meetings at the Health District from 4:00pm - 6:15pm. Teachers can determine when meetings are conducted as long as they are meeting outside of their contract time. All teachers are required to attend the orientation at WCHD on 1/22/2020 from 4:00 - 6:00pm, as well as the final meeting at WCHD on 3/3/2020 from 4:00 - 6:00pm.
- If you would like to participate for fun without earning an In-Service credit please sign-up here.
Contact us: GetHealthy@washoecounty.us
Call at 775-328-2474 or 775-328-6160
This program was partially funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – SNAP.
Last modified on 12/20/2019