A chronic disease is an illness that is long-lasting, persistent and is rarely cured completely. Risk factors for developing a chronic disease are poor diet, limited physical activity and tobacco use. Chronic disease accounts for 7 out of every 10 deaths in the United States. Below is a list of the most common chronic diseases in the United States:
- Heart Disease (the #1 cause of death in Washoe County, the state and the nation)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Although chronic diseases are among the most common health problems, they are also among the most preventable. Eating healthy foods, being physically active, and being tobacco free can reduce the risk of developing a chronic illness.
Source: Nevada Interactive Health Databases, 2004.
Chronic Disease Coalition
The Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition was founded in 2005 and is Northern Nevada's only collaborative of agencies dedicated to the prevention and control of chronic disease. Our mission is to:
- Increase the community's awareness of chronic diseases and their risk factors;
- Improve the community's access to chronic disease resources, including data, education, and health care services; and
- Promote the healthy lifestyle choices that prevent chronic disease (i.e., healthy eating, active living, and being tobacco free).
Please Join Us!
The Washoe County Chronic Disease Coalition meets quarterly. For more information, please contact:
Last modified on 03/27/2018