Jeremy Bosler, Public Defender
Jeremy Bosler was appointed by the Washoe County Commission on June 21, 2005, after an extensive state-wide search for candidates. Before his appointment, Mr. Bosler was a Chief Deputy Public Defender for Washoe County . He is a graduate of the University of Nevada, Reno (1988) and the California Western School of Law (1993).
Mr. Bosler began his career in 1993, when he joined the Washoe County Public Defender’s Office as a trial attorney. He has remained with the office since 1993 and considers himself a life-long defender.
Under Mr. Bosler’s direction, the Washoe County Public Defender's Office has had many accomplishments including:
- Renegotiating a drug evaluation contract to maintain uniform quality of evaluations produced and create cost certainty
- Installed Language Line in office to provide immediate telephonic access for clients and the public to 150 different language interpreters
- Established a formal Internship Program with Boyd Law School to attract and retain Nevada students in Public Interest law
- Created a County Services/Community Information kiosk in office to assist clients and public
- Provided specialized training to the Reno Police Department’s Crisis Intervention Team on identifying mental health issues and accessing mental health services to reduce jail overcrowding
- Accepted appointment to the Supreme Court Bench Bar Committee to evaluate and improve appellate court processes and practice
- Assisted in development of standardized pleadings and procedures in criminal competency evaluations to enhance an accused person‘s ability to receive treatment towards competency
- Initiated participation in the Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative (JDAI) with the Washoe County Department of Juvenile Services
- Established 1-800 line for toll free communication by out-of-state clients and witnesses
Our future goals include:
- Bring attorney caseloads into compliance with nationally recommended standards
- Implement projects to comply with the Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA)
- Institute an effective legislative advocacy program with Public Defender's Offices statewide
- Develop a Law Related Education (LRE) program for local juvenile population
- Participate in electronic data sharing through e-filing and a Multi-County Integrated Justice Information System (MCIJIS)
- Provide community outreach programs to explain the mission and services of the Washoe County Public Defender's Office
A PERSONAL NOTE FROM JEREMY BOSLER
“Thank you for taking time to visit our website. The contents of the pages were developed by the staff of the Public Defender's Office. They not only deserve recognition for their contribution on this project, but for their daily contributions to the office and our community.
Everyday, in courtrooms throughout Washoe County and across the United States , Public Defenders labor diligently, and valiantly, to protect the rights of indigent members of our society. Whether a defense is based upon the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, or 14th Amendments of the United States Constitution or other Federal or Nevada authority, these rights represent the foundation of our democracy. It is only through the vigilant protection of the rights of these individuals that our society, as a whole, can enjoy freedom.
As I tell law school students interested in public defense, the freedoms you protect may just be your own.”
Washoe County Public Defender