Short Term Rentals
Washoe County STR
Announcements & Updates
Short Term Rentals are currently required to obtain permits in the unincorporated areas of Washoe County ONLY. If your STR is within the City of Reno or the City of Sparks, you will NOT be able to obtain a permit. Permits within the Cities' limits are not available at this time.
Click the map icon or copy and paste this link https://gis.washoecounty.us/wrms/city to see if your STR location is within the unincorporated areas of Washoe County or if it is within one of the City's limits. Areas highlighted in "orange" indicate the unincorporates areas of Washoe County.
STR Enforcement and the August 1st Deadline
We have heard your concerns related to the upcoming, August 1st, 2021, STR enforcement deadline.
Initially, the county code enforcement team will focus on pursuing those STRs that do not have an active application/STR Permit submitted in our system. Applicants are expected to be proactive and demonstrate due diligence in providing outstanding items for their STR Permits. Once all advertised and active STR properties are permitted, Code Enforcement staff will begin focusing on properties with documented chronic nuisance issues.
Click here to view Short Term Rental Penalties and Fines
Please note that Washoe County Code Enforcement staff has a regular work schedule of Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is not available on weekends to respond to complaints.
Click on the “File a Complaint” tab on the left to learn more about filing complaints.
STR Building Inspections Update:
We want you to PASS your inspection!
We have a high demand for STR Building Inspections, so please prepare for your building inspection to ensure you PASS the first time and do not need a re-inspection.
Please DO NOT schedule your inspection before you review the checklist and all items are installed in your home.
Top 3 Reasons STR Homes are FAILING their Building Inspection:
1) Smoke Detectors and/or Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector are NOT Interconnected: Please ensure your smoke and CO detectors are talking to one another (interconnected). This means if one detector goes off, then all detectors must go off. Interconnection can be achieved by installing wireless or bluetooth detectors that do not require re-wiring (plug and play).
2) Emergency Lighting Missing: You can use a plug-in light that comes on when it detects that the power is out (has a battery). The emergency light should be placed outside bedrooms to light the pathway to the nearest exit.
3) Escape Ladders Missing: Bedrooms and sleeping areas with greater than 16'-0" from windowsill to the exterior terrain/landing require a retractable ladder affixed to the inside or outside or the window. Ladder must reach within 12" of the terrain/landing.
TO SCHEDULE your Inspection or Re-inspection:
Subject: STR Permit Number WSTR000XXX - (Include your permit #)
Body: List date and times that work for your schedule
We understand that you may have guests and we are happy to access when it is convenient. Please know we do not mind if the home is not clean or occupied. Our inspectors need 15-20 minutes maximum to do their inspection.
Thank you for your patience!
- Navigate OneNV.us by following the Step-by-Step Instructions for Online Submittal which will help walk you through the online submittal process. These instructions will be availble on the "STR Permits" tab to the left.
- An STR Inspection Check List is now available for STR applicants on the "STR Permits" tab to the left. Learn what you can expect during the on-site inspection of an STR.
- STR FAQs - General questions regarding the STR application, permitting, and enforcement process is currently available.
Most Recent STR Updates:
- The Board of County Commissioners heard the first reading of the ordinance on 02/23/2021.
- The Board of County Commissioners heard the second a reading and adopted the STR Ordiance at the 3/23/2021 meeting.
- Permitting Platform scheduled to open on 05/01/2021
- Permitting Guidlines and Tutorials will become available on this website before 05/01/2021
- An STR "How To Apply" Virtual Workshop will be held on 04/28/2021 at 2pm via Zoom, click HERE for more information on how to attend.
- STR Permit Application, click HERE to view and download the PDF
Board of County Commissioners March 23, 2021 Adopted STR Ordinances:
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 110 - Development Code
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 50 - Public Peace, Safety and Morals Code
- Adopted Ordinance - Chapter 125 - Administrative Enforcement Code
- Resolution R21-001 - Master Fee Schedule Chapter 110 and Chapter 125
- Master Fee Schedule - Chapter 110 - Development Code
- Master Fee Schedule - Chapter 125 - Administrative Enforcement Code
On March 23, 2021, a second reading and adoption of the draft ordinances was heard and voted on by the Board of County Commissioners. Staff is currently working to create a permitting platform and comprehensive guidelines for the public to submit an STR permit application online for launch on May 1, 2021. Information will be updated on this website as it becomes available. Please be patient with us as we prepare all necessary documents and tutorials in order to meet the May 1st deadline. There will be a three-month grace period, from May 1, 2021 to July 31, 2021, in anticipation of a high-volume of properties wishing to obtain permits at the same time. The grace period is intended to allow time for STR owners to submit and obtain an STR permit. Full enforcement of the ordinances will start August 1, 2021.
Email us: email@example.com
Call us: 775-328-6100