Marijuana Establishment Licenses
Washoe County licenses marijuana establishments located in the unincorporated portions of Washoe County through its business license regulations. Washoe County licenses both medical and recreational marijuana establishments as a single marijuana license. There are five types of marijuana establishments:
- Marijuana cultivation facility
- Marijuana distributor Note: A marijuana distributor license is only required to deliver marijuana and/or marijuana products to a retail marijuana store. A distributor's license is not required to deliver marijuana and/or marijuana products to a marijuana cultivation facility, to a marijuana product manufacturing facility, to a marijuana testing facility, or medical marijuana and/or medical marijuana products to a medical dispensary.
- Marijuana product manufacturing facility
- Marijuana testing facility
- Retail marijuana store/medical dispensary Note: in order to operate as a retail marijuana store, the establishment must be licensed by the Nevada Department of Taxation as a medical marijuana dispensary.
Washoe County separately licenses each type of marijuana establishment. Marijuana establishment licenses are valid for unincorporated Washoe County only.
The use, cultivation, distribution, production, possession, and transportation of marijuana remains illegal under federal law and marijuana remains classified as a "controlled substance" by both Nevada and federal law. Nothing in the marijuana establishment codes, adopted by Washoe County or the business licenses issued by Washoe County, are intended to authorize, promote, condone, or aid the production, distribution, or possession in violation of any applicable law.
The following documents provide more information about the marijuana establishment licensing process:
- ME license common questions
- ME license status
- Washoe County ME ordinance (adopted on April 10, 2018, effective on April 20, 2018. Contains changes to Washoe County Code Chapters 25, 53, and 110)
- Master Business License Fee Schedule
Marijuana Establishment License Application and Information
The marijuana establishment license application is found at:
- Applications must include a copy of the Nevada Department of Taxation provisional or issued marijuana establishment license for the establishment.
- All required documents and information must be submitted with the application.
- The application must be mailed to Washoe County business license with the required $77.75 application fee.
- Application includes one copy of the entire application and an electronic copy of the entire application on a memory stick or DVD.
- Mailing address: Washoe County Business License, 1001 E. Ninth Street, Reno, NV 89512
- Applicants for a marijuana distributor's license whose place of business in not located in Washoe County may submit the application through the U.S. Postal Service or other mail carriers.
- These applications should be mailed to Washoe County Business License, 1001 E. Ninth Street, Reno, NV 89512.
- The due date for the first quarterly ME license fee is the start of the next calendar quarter after the ME license is issued.
- License fees must be paid in full no later than 15 days after the start of the quarter.
- Gross revenues will be calculated for the preceding quarter.
Marijuana Establishment License Renewals
Marijuana establishment licenses must be renewed quarterly at the start of each calendar quarter (January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1). The required quarterly marijuana establishment license fee is 3% of an establishment's reported quarterly gross revenue.
All Washoe County licensed marijuana establilshments must submit an annual report to Washoe County business no later than December 31 of each year. The report must contain, at a minimum, the following:
- A copy of the most recent Nevada Department of Taxation marijuana establishment license issued for the establishment; and
- A copy of the most recent Nevada Department of Taxation inspection for the establishment.
Marijuana Establishment Quarterly License Fees
Marijuana establishment license fees are due at the start of each calendar quarter (January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1). The license fee is 3% of an establishment's reported quarterly gross revenue. Gross revenue is reported for the previous calendar quarter. License fees must be paid in full no later than 15 calendar days after the start of the calendar quarter.
Marijuana establishment licensees will report the previous quarter's gross revenues and include that information, together with the calculation for the required 3% fee (plus any penalty charges or reinstatement fees), with the license fee payment.
Washoe County accepts check (made payable to Washoe County) or cash payments only. Cash payments of less than $1,000 are made to Washoe County business license. Cash payments of $1,000 or more are made to the Washoe County Treasurer's Office. Contact the Treasurer's Office at (775) 328.2510 to schedule an appointment for the cash payment. Appointments will be scheduled prior to 3:00 p.m. on business days.
Marijuana establishment license fees may be paid, in part or in full, prior to the start of any calendar quarter. Advanced payments are allowed only during the quarter preceding the calendar quarter due date.
Marijuana establishment licensees preferring to pay fees in advance should contact Washoe County business license to request a Marijuana Establishment Advanced Payment Form. The form must accompany any advanced payment. The form, or forms for multiple advanced payments, must also accompany quarterly renewal payments (even if the establishment owes no further fees).
Business License Contacts
Nevada State Department of Taxation
- Online: email@example.com (marijuana specific inquires)
http://marijuana.nv.gov (web site)
- Call Center: 866.962.3707
Office locations (northern Nevada)Carson City:
1550 College Parkway, Suite 115
Carson City, NV 89706
4600 Kietzke Lane, Building L, Suite 235
Reno, NV 89502
Washoe County Business License Contact:
- Online: www.washoecounty.mme (marijuana specific)
Email: BusinessLicense@washoecounty.usOffice Location:
Washoe County Business License Counter
1001 E. Ninth Street, Building A, 2nd Floor, West End
Reno, NV 89512Mailing Address:
Washoe County Business License
1001 E. Ninth Street
Reno, NV 89512