Marijuana Establishment Licenses

Washoe County is preparing new Marijuana Establishment (ME) regulations.  The new ME regulations will include both medical marijuana establishments and marijuana (recreational or adult use) establishments.


Washoe County hosted a public workshop on Wednesday, February 7, 2018 to listen to public comments on the County's approach to regulate legalized marijuana (consumption by adults age 21 or over).  The workshop provided information on the State of Nevada's role to regulate legalized marijuana, Washoe County's roles both regionally and within unincorporated Washoe County to regulate marijuana, and sought public input on several questions concerning marijuana establishment regulations.  Interested citizens may provide their thoughts and comments by taking the on-line public input survey for marijuana establishments by clicking here.


One component of the new ME regulations is a new quarterly license fee for all marijuana establishments.  The quarterly fee will be 3% of an ME's reported quarterly gross revenue.  The new quarterly license fee is authorized by amendments to NRS Chapter 244 enacted by the State Legislature in 2017.  In accordance with State Law, Washoe County notified marijuana establishment business owners and/or trade association members likely to be affected by the adoption of the proposed quarterly marijuana establishment license fee.  The notification letter requested comments, arguments, or data on potential impacts of the proposed quarterly ME license fee by February 9, 2018.  After the comment period, Washoe County prepared the Business Impact Statement (BIS) required by NRS Chapter 237.  A copy of the BIS may be found by clicking here.  The BIS includes a copy of the notification letter sent to business owners and trade associations.  The Washoe County Board of County Commissioners (Board) will consider adopting the BIS during their meeting on:

Date:  Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Time:  Meeting begins at 10:00 a.m.

Location:  Washoe County Commission Chambers
                   Building A, Washoe County Administrative Complex
                   1001 East Ninth Street, Reno 

Board Actions

Recent or Upcoming Board items concerning Marijuana

The Washoe County Board of County Commissioners (Board) will consider amendments to County Codes to address legalized marijuana (legalized consumption by adults over the age of 21) and medical marijuana in unincorporated Washoe County.  The amendments will be within three Washoe County Code Chapters: 25 (Business License), 53 (Miscellaneous Crimes), and 110 (Development Code).  The Board will also consider adopting a quarterly marijuana estalishment business license fee.  Links to the draft code amendments and the draft fee schedule appear below.

The Board will consider the business impact statement associated with the proposed quarterly license fee and hold a first reading for the three code amendments at their meeting on March 27, 2018.  The second reading and possible adoption of the code amendments, together with possible adoption of the new quarterly license fee will be at the Boards's meeting on April 10, 2018.  Links to the Board's agendas for those meetings can be found here.

For quick information on the public review process for requests to relocate an MME, please review our frequently asked questions, below.

Frequently Asked Questions  
Photos of Medical Marijuana Establishment Dispensaries

Current ME Licensure

This page provides information on how to apply for a Washoe County Temporary Marijuana Establishment (TME) business license or a Medical Marijuana Establishment (MME) business license.  You can apply for either TME or an MME license in person at our office or mail your complete application with fees to our mailing address. 

The link below provides information on licensed marijuana establishments (ME), and the status of ME business license applications in unincorporated Washoe County.

Temporary Marijuana Establishments (TME)


Nevada voters approved Initiative Petition No. 1 (Initiative to Regulate and Tax Marijuana) in November of 2016.  Passage of the Initiative created NRS Chapter 453D, Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana.  The Nevada Tax Commission subsequently adopted regulations to create NAC Chapter 453D to enable the production and distribution of recreational (aka adult use) marijuana by the temporary licensing of marijuana establishments (known as the Quick Start program).

The TME regulations adopted by the Board enable the Quick Start program in unincorporated Washoe County.  All TME business licenses expire on July 1, 2018Only MMEs with an issued State registration certificate in good standing, a State temporary marijuana establilshment license, and a current Washoe County MME business license may apply for a TME business license.  Marijuana distributors with a State temporary marijuana establishment license as a distributor may also apply for a TME business license.

Washoe County TME business license applications without the State temporary marijuana establishment license will not be accepted.  Use the details below to contact the Taxation Department for information on how to obtain a temporary marijuana establishment license.

TME business license application process and information
Washoe County separately licenses five types of TMEs:

  1. Marijuana cultivation facility
  2. Marijuana product manufacturing facility
  3. Marijuana testing facility
  4. Retail marijuana store
  5. Marijuana distributor

Business licenses are valid for unincorporated Washoe County only.

TME business license application
TME Application and Instructions
(Note:  A TME application cannot be accepted without a copy of the Nevada State temporary marijuana establishment license for the establishment)

Important Note:  Business License staff will accept TME applications starting on July 26, 2017.  
However, staff cannot accept the license application fee ($77.75) until August 4, 2017.
Applications which have received all agency approval may be issued on August 4, 2017 after license fees are paid.

Medical Marijuana Establishments (MME) 

MME business license application process and information
Before submitting an application for a MME in Washoe County, please review the following information:

Washoe County separately licenses four types of MMEs:

  1. Facility for the production of edible marijuana products or marijuana-infused products.
  2. Medical marijuana cultivation facility.
  3. Medical marijuana dispensary.
  4. Medical marijuana independent testing laboratory.

Business licenses are valid for unincorporated Washoe County only.

Any person desiring to operate an MME in unincorporated Washoe County must first obtain a provisional registration certificate from the Nevada Department of Taxation.  Washoe County MME business license applications without the provisional certificate will not be accepted.  Use the details below to contact the Taxation Department for information on how to obtain a provisional registration certificate.

MME business license application
MME Application and Instructions
(Note:  An MME application cannot be accepted without a copy of the Nevada State provisional registration certificate for the establishment)

MME business license renewal
A business owner must provide a copy of their valid, renewed Nevada State registration certificate along with their reported gross receipts and appropriate renewal fee.

Business License Contacts

Nevada State Department of Taxation

Carson City:
1550 College Parkway, Suite 115
4600 Kietzke Lane, Building L, Suite 235

Washoe County Business License Contact:

Mail your completed application to:
Washoe County Business License
P.O. Box 11130
Reno, NV  89520-0027
Apply in person at:
Washoe County Business License Counter
1001 E. Ninth Street, Building A, 2nd Floor, West End
Reno, NV  89512
Business License Phone:  775.328.3733
Fax:  775.328.6133