Did you know that it is required by law for your dog, if over the age of four months and residing in the congested areas of Washoe County, to be licensed with Washoe County Regional Animal Services? Failure to license your dog may result in a $100 to $400 fine.
Not only does a dog license provide proof of ownership, it also helps get your dog reunited with you if they ever become lost. Every year hundreds of dogs are reunited with their owners because they were licensed.
Licensing fees stay at WCRAS to help care for the thousands of pets brought to the shelter each year as well as provide funding for outreach programs to benefit the community.
Washoe County code allows for three dogs over four months of age per residence. If you have more than three dogs, go to our Variance Permit for more information.
How to purchase your dog’s license:
Due to COVID-19 implications, WCRAS will be providing an extension through June 10, 2020 to license your pet, however if you are prepared to license your pet at this time, WCRAS is available to assist you as follows:
- Online: Licensing online is the quickest way to accomplish this task but please take a moment to read through our instructional page for either a new dog license or renewal of your dog’s license.
Quick tip: If you are renewing a dog license and adding a new dog to your home, please use the renewal option to do both.
- By Mail: You can also purchase a dog license by mailing in the licensing application. Instructions for mailing are on the license application.
- At the Shelter: Due to COVID-19 precautions, we are closed to the public. You can purchase your license over the phone, in lieu of coming in person during this limited time. We appreciate your patience.
- At one of our Vaccination Clinics: Check out our clinic and event schedule.
You will need the current rabies certificate and the applicable fee listed below to license.
Annual license fee:
Unaltered dog: $20.00
Altered dog: $8.00 (spayed or neutered)
Senior citizen with an unaltered dog: $8.00
(60 years old or older)
Rabies certificate can be submitted online at the time of licensing.
Quick Tip: If submitting rabies certificate online when licensing, it must be in a .jpg format.
You can also submit a rabies certificate:
- By fax at (775) 856-4626
- By Email at email@example.com (.jpg or .pdf files are acceptable)
- By mail to Washoe County Animal Services 2825 Longley Ln, Suite A, Reno NV 89502
- By coming into the shelter at 2825 Longley Ln. Ste. A during open hours
If you only need to change information, please email, call or come in to the shelter. You cannot do this online unless you are renewing your dog’s license at the same time. Some of the information you can update:
- Advise that your dog is deceased or has been given away
- Change your address and contact information
- Register a microchip
- Add a picture of your dog for their license (.jpeg format only please)
- Or any other licensing requests, changes or comments
Shelter phone: 775-353-8900 Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm (excluding holidays)
Shelter address: 2825 Longley Ln. Ste. A in Reno
Mailing address: 2825 Longley Ln. Ste. A, Reno, NV 89502
VARIANCE PERMIT AND DANGEROUS DOG LICENSES - PLEASE DO NOT USE THE ONLINE SERVICE, ALL PERMITS MUST BE DONE AT THE SHELTER OFFICE OR SENT IN BY MAIL AFTER ONE OF OUR OFFICERS DOES A YEARLY INSPECTION