Get a Library Card
To get your library card, just fill out the form below. When you come to a library to pick it up (and check things out), you must present one of the following:
- Valid Nevada driver's license or I.D. card, or Nevada I.D. with current address, or
- Consulate card with current Nevada Address, or
- Valid U.S. passport or photo I.D. card, and proof of current residency*
Applicants who present a Nevada library card from another library system in Nevada must also present photo I.D. and proof of current Nevada residency.*
RESIDENTS OF THESE NEIGHBORING CALIFORNIA COUNTIES -- EL DORADO, LASSEN, PLACER, PLUMAS, NEVADA, OR SIERRA may obtain a Washoe County Library card by presenting:
- Valid photo I.D. showing residency in their counties, with current address, or
- A valid California driver's license or I.D. card AND a separate proof of current address*, or
- Consulate card with current address in neighboring California county
Parents or guardians of minor children may obtain library cards for their children by providing acceptable identification.
Students currently attending schools/universities in Washoe County may have a Washoe County Library card upon presentation of valid school I.Dl, and, in the case of college or university students, proof of current local address.
NON RESIDENTS WHO OWN PROPERTY OR WORK IN WASHOE COUNTY
Applicants who DO NOT live in Nevada or a bordering California County, but own property or work in Washoe County may obtain a library card by presenting one of the acceptable types of valid photo identification and one of the following:
- Washoe County Property Tax Statement
- Timeshare proof-of-ownership papers
- Pay check or stub (current month)
- Letter from Employer (on company letterhead)
Applicants not living in Nevada or a neighboring California county who wish to borrow library materials may do so by applying for an annual library card and paying an annual fee (from date of issue) in accordance with the Washoe County Library System Fines, Fees and Charges Policy. Acceptable I.D. is still required.
CONDITIONAL LIBRARY CARD
A conditional library card with a two-item limit may be issued for patrons visiting longer than one month but less than six months, or for other reasons at the discretion of the library manager or their designee.
*A list of acceptable documents serving as proof of current address is available at all WCLS libraries.
- Please allow 72 hours for your application to be processed. You may pick up your new library card at any Washoe County Library location. Information on library locations is here.
- If you are under 18, you will need to bring a parent/guardian or your school ID with you to activate your card.
- Activate your library card within 30 days of submitting this request.
To submit an online library card application, fill out the form below: