Birth and Death Records
- Location and phone number
- What birth and death certificates are available?
- Who can get a birth/death certificate?
- Search of Records
- How do I get a birth or death certificate?
- Where do I get marriage certificates and divorce records?
- Frequently asked questions about birth and death records
Location and phone number:
Washoe County Health District
1001 E. Ninth Street, Reno
Building B, first floor, Birth and Death Records
The order window hours are: 8:00 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The window is closed from 12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. daily.
What birth and death certificates are available?
The Vital Statistics Office serves as the registrar for all births and deaths occurring in Washoe County from the late 1800s to present.
Who can get a birth/death certificate?
Birth and death certificates are confidential in the State of Nevada and may only be released to a qualified applicant.
A qualified applicant for a birth certificate is defined as:
- The registrant.
- Mother, father, grandparent, or sibling.
- Legal guardian. (Must provide certified original court order appointing guardianship.)
- When no father appears on the birth certificate, only the mother, registrant, or legal guardian may obtain the document.
A qualified applicant for a death certificate is defined as:
- A direct family member by blood or marriage.
- Legal representative.
- One having a direct and tangible need.
Search of Records
A Search of Records is $10.00 per name, regardless of whether a record is found or not.
The definition of a Search of Records would be confirming the existence of a death certificate or verification of information on an existing death certificate.
When a death certificate is found, a certified document is not always available. The requester must be a qualified applicant to receive a death certificate. If the requester is not a qualified applicant we will verify the existence of the document and/or verify any information that we can within statute that appears on the document. Some information on death certificates is considered confidential information.
We can not search for general information on a birth certificate or the actual existence of a birth record as that information is confidential. However, we can search to see if there is a father listed on the certificate. To do this, the requester must be a qualified applicant and know the name, date of birth, and mother's maiden name of the person in question.
How do I get a birth or death certificate?
- Verify that you are a qualified applicant.
- Complete a Birth Certificate Application (PDF, 1.01 MB) or Death Certificate Application.
- Include a copy of your valid photo identification.
- Include a check or money order, payable to Washoe County Health District. Birth certificates and death certificates are $20.00 per copy.
- Mail all of the above to:
Washoe County Health District - Vital Statistics
PO Box 11130
Reno NV 89520-0027
Estimate 3-4 weeks for processing and receipt of your request. Requests for which no record is found are subject to the established $10.00 search fee.
- Verify that you are a qualified applicant.
- We accept checks, money orders, cash, MasterCard, and Visa. Make checks or money orders payable to Washoe County Health District. Birth certificates and death certificates are $20.00 per copy.
- Bring your valid photo identification.
- Come to our office.
Washoe County Health District does not accept online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website www.vitalchek.com. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, or Visa®.
Other Internet vendors are not authorized by Washoe County Health District and may charge additional fees without providing state-approved services. Neither Washoe County Health District nor VitalChek have control over the services and fees other Internet vendors offer and charge, nor can we guarantee the confidentiality of any vital record data provided to vendors other than VitalChek.
Where do I get marriage certificates and divorce records?
For information regarding marriage certificates, please visit the Recorder's Office website or call (775) 328-3660. For information regarding divorce records, please visit the District Court website or call (775) 328-3110.