The Board is constituted to support the implementation of the policies of the Board of Washoe County Commissioners as they apply to the functioning, management, and operation of the Senior Services Department of Washoe County; to recommend programs for seniors; to make specific recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners on the operations of the Department; and to sustain the purposes of senior centers.
The Board shall consist of not less than 7 nor more than 11 members and up to two alternates, all residents of Washoe County and appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. The three government entities of Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County shall each be invited to appoint a representative and a delegated alternate. The director of the Department shall serve, ex officio, as a member of the Board.
Board members serve a four year term; meetings are held monthly and run 1-2 hours; members usually spend 2-6 hours per month outside of meetings on board-assigned business.
The Advisory Board shall provide assistance and make recommendations to the director, at a minimum, in the following areas:
1. Development of long and short range departmental goals;
2. Recommending and evaluating programs and policies;
3. Reviewing the quality of departmental services provided;
4. Providing input to county manager regarding performance of director.
5. Providing technical assistance, as applicable;
6. Reviewing and making recommendations regarding the department's proposed budget;
7. Reviewing and providing input to director regarding community trends and needs.
Washoe County Code 45.425
find out more about this opportunity!
We're looking for volunteers!
We currently have openings for Washoe County residents, preferably 60+, who are willing to provide input and have two to four hours per month to volunteer. We are recruiting for one representative from District 5. Members must live in the District they represent. To find out your District please enter your address in the following link: www.washoecounty.us/voters/precinct_district_maps.html